Cambodia - Day 1


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 23rd 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Got up at 4AM and in a taxi to the airport by 5AM. Todd bought a book in the airport, Off the Rails in Phnom Penh, by Amit Gilboa, to set the mood. The flight departed around 7AM and we were in Phnom Penh by 8ish. Felicia’s friend Michelle met us at the airport and we took a taxi back to her house. Visited for a while then went out to lunch at Friends Restaurant. The restaurant belongs to a charity which provides skills training to disadvantaged and homeless youth—the staff are kids enrolled in the program. The charity works to build skills with these kids so that they can have more opportunities in their future employment in the hospitality industry. The tapas style food was superb. Michelle went home to work and we went off on our own for the afternoon. Hit the National Museum first and then the Royal Palace. We walked to Wat Ounalom and then to Wat Phnom (which the city is named after). Wat Phnom is on top of a hill and there are monkeys all over the place! They weren’t afraid of people and would’ve grabbed something out of your hands if they thought it would be good to eat! Headed back along the Sisowath Quay which runs along the Tonle Sap River. Lots of people, families, couples, etc. hanging out by the river, enjoying the evening. Stopped for happy hour at The Foreign Correspondents Club. A huge gecko on the wall above the bar almost shit in Todd’s drink, but the offending turd luckily missed by a few inches. At first Todd thought that a monkey at Wat Phnom might have left a little present on his head. Got back to Michelle’s and we all went out to dinner at Luna D’Autunno. Very good Italian food, salads and wood fired pizzas. Back to Michelle’s to visit and drink some wine (when we can get cheap wine, we take full advantage, since wine is so expensive in Bangkok).


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th May 2006

beautiful
Hi guys! it seems like you've been having a blast and visiting alot of places. I'm glad we can keep in touch but we misss you soo much. The monkey is the cutest!!!!! =) Love Erika

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb