travel from bangkok to cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 5th 2010
Published: October 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dear Reader

I would like to start off with not advicing you to take the bus from bangkok to Phnom Penh, as it takes about 17 hours to get there. I would advice you to get a mini bus to the border and then pay aprox. 90 dollars for a taxi (organised by some "criminal" travel organisatio. This will shorten your ride by about 7 hours will cost you mone but saves you back pain from the being squeezed in between 45 locals.

Facts: bus leaving from bangkok to border 7.30 arriving at the border by around 12.00. Moving to the very slow imigration (took us about an hour). When you get out on the cambodian side you will find a dirty and godforsaken town...you will soon get to realise that this is different but thailand and not "same,same".
there you will take a bus to a place where more buses drive to every possible direction in cambodia.
The bus left at 2.30 and arrived in Phnom Penh aroun 11 pm. They drop you off at a hostel they get most likely a slice of the cake from. Oh.. and there are about a cazillion tuk tuk drivers waiting to take you where ever you want with of course a suggestion of the place you should stay. do not trust them....

once arrived at the hotel paragon by what they call riverside we soon discovered that the hotel is quite lifely, not due to party people more to the number of insects and animals ...but i must admit it is clean and you can not do anything about it as this is ASIA TIA- this is Asia and we are in the middle of it.

when we woke up and had a quick stroll around I realised that this is a very poor country and there is very litlle beautiful about this city at least so far.

check out the pics and see a bit of the marked and the river which runs into the mekong

catch you later.

David and Isabel


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

first meal in Phnom penhfirst meal in Phnom penh
first meal in Phnom penh

bloody expensive
meat counter at the markedmeat counter at the marked
meat counter at the marked

please note that we have at least 28 degrees ...can you smell it?
fruitsfruits
fruits

sorry pic got a bit dark
marketmarket
market

this place stank


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb