The Russian Markets


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 25th 2006
Published: February 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today's entry is going to be shorter than yesterdays (do I hear you all sigh with relief??), only because we have yet to fill the second half of the day with exciting things!

I woke up early this morning, and decided to fight the urge of wanted to fall asleep again, and instead got up at 6am to read A History of Cambodia on the weathered hammock on the small balcony of our building. Before I actually opened the book, I was spellbound for half an hour, just watching the people in the alley below washing dishes, cooking meals for what seemed like the entire Cambodian Army, and racing around doing their chores. Motos tooted in the background, and for the first time, I even hear birds chirping.

By 8am, the other ladies were up and ready to go, so we caught a tuk-tuk from outside our guesthouse, negotiated the price from US$3 to US$1.8, and headed out to the Russian Market for a second look.

We had some noodle and pork soup for breakfast at a rather large, busy street stall and sat at a table with two Khmer women and a young girl. They watched us with intrigue, as most Westerners do not eat at the street stalls, but rather at the fancy cafes, restaurants or lodgings which are everywhere around the city. But for a little over US$1 (including coffee), we decided that the street stalls are the way to go, the only trick being to find one with decent hygiene standards.

The markets this morning were very busy, but we still managed to find just about everything we had come for - clothes, film, jewellery, hammocks, bags, pillow cases, Helyna even found a new backpack (US$12.50). We bought some little timber fans for US$0.50, as the heat in there is really quite unbearable - I am not sure how the vendors sit in their little spaces all day, without a glimpse of sunlight or even much air. Some of the stalls are that pilled up with clothes and items that the vendors crawl in through a tiny hole they have left at the bottom, just big enough for them to fit through. Then they have clothes piled to the ceilings, and again, only a small peep hole through which they are able to serve their customers.

We came across a few beggars again, mostly older Khmers who have land mine injuries or other deformities. At first, I found it difficult to deal with, as I was confused in myself as to whether I should give them money. But after speaking to Kirk and getting a better feel for the people here, I seem to be giving them all at least a few hundred riel, mostly 1000 riel (US$0.25), enough for them to buy some fruit or breakfast at a street stall. You soon work out that the ones who are begging are usually fairly desperate for money, as begging is not seen as something honourable, and even the people to whom you give extra money for their services, such as Sirowan for the moto driving, are very sceptical of accepting someone else's generosity. And anyway, the smile that you get in return for US$0.25 is priceless : ).

Going to do some more reading now and munch on the fruit we bought (mind you, apart from the bananas, we have no idea what it even is. One is like a lychee, but with a much bigger seed and smooth skin, the other looks like a huge peanut shell from the outside, but once you peel it away, you are left with a sticky fruit which tastes almost like a date).

Take care,

xoxo Maz

Advertisement



26th February 2006

Dear Mariechen and Pickilein and Heeeeleeena, I believe the fruit similar to lychee is called Rambutan, at least in Thailand...The other one is called The Giant Datenut, a cross between a peanut and a date (really!).No sigh of relief on my side, more an "oh,no!", since I really, really can't wait for more, it has become a sort of an addiction and I send you more money over (of which I will very soon NOT have any) so you stay where you are and send more travelblogs. I have actually seen the temples in Martin's travelblog the other day, and knew them (from TV,daehhh!).Saw on Oprah yesterday that "nearly half of all the sex workers in Cambodia....are under 15 years of age...." and that the U.S. gov. under Bush has just passed a new bill against human trafficking and the prosecution thereof. Did you guys realize that this is such a big problem over there because of poverty, naturally, and has shifted over the years from Thailand to poorer countries. Don't call at all, just keep writing, p,p,please!! Viele Kuesschen and hi to Heylena, mum p.s.: Danke fuer die pers. Mail, Maria, und ich habe neulich schon gedacht, ob Ihr wohl manchmal denkt, Mama wuerde das und das hier jetzt so toll finden?!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb