Phnom Penh again and the Lighthouse Orphanage


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 6th 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back to Phnom Penh and back to Tat where we spend a couple of days while our Vietnam visas are processed. We decide to go along to a local orphanage called Lighthouse where it is possible to spend some time with the kids and donate various items.

Jack the tuk tuk driver takes us to a local store where we buy 50kg of rice which we are told is the most appreciated donation. As we drive through the gates of the orphanage the kids run to meet us all smiles and enthusiasm and we soon wish we had brought something more interesting! The children are amazing, very affectionate, very happy and relishing the attention from foreigners.
We return the next day with books, stickers, crayons, shoes and watermelons which are gratefully received. The rice as it turns out only lasts one day with 90 kids to feed. The kids are aged from 3-18 and we get to meet a fair few of them, play volleyball, read through some story books and get taken on their tours of their bedrooms and school. They are in school everyday learning English and French so they are all capable of conversing with you in English. Really great experience and although I thought the day would be heartbreaking, the saddest part about it was leaving them behind...well all apart from that one little one that I have with me now...just kidding.

Next morning we catch the bus to Ho Chi Minh City or Saigon as it’s still known as to everyone who lives and visits there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb