school in phnom penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 1st 2009
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

i have now settled in at the school and halfway through orientation! i am teaching level 4, 6 and advanced discussion! haha theres a section about religion, i will be in my element!! (the levels range from 1-8 so i have a nice mix!) the focus is more on conversation rather than grammar, but i think i might try and extend activities for the grammar focus, there are some really odd words that they want us to teach from the text book: divorce, adultery and other really un-cambodian things!! how do you make things like that fun!!!?!?!?!!!?

we have been having khmer lessons which have been useful, its amazing how much you start to pick up on! i'm really looking forward to the next three months! we are going to the very rural province this week! a 7hour bus journey but it will be such a worthwhile experience before settling into teaching!! also need to find myself a cambodian to marry, their weddings can last up to a week and on the actual two days of ceremony, the bride wears over 15 dresses!!!!

my housemates are really lovely and i feel at home already! its getting hotter though! there is no air con in the rooms at the volunteer house or school...the fans work but not very well!!! i'm already hallucinating in my dreams (about waking up in the jungle or some strange place, i think its post traumatic stress from getting here hehe) and someone has already fainted from heat exhaution!!!

we had a picnic on the riverside and i visited the national museum today, it brought back the memories of angkor wat which was awesome. they have all the major artifacts there so it was ncie to see what was supposed to be in the temples! there is still so much to see and i am so glad i have plenty of time to do it!! 😊 i have to pinch myself to beleive that i am here!! just jenning up on my phonetics and then i will be heading back to the volunteer house for another wonderful meal! they cater well for veggies and provide unlimited fruit and tea...i'm in heaven!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb