India


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ahhh Im going to India, how exciting.

Went into Phnom Penh today and applied for visas which will be ready for Thursday, then went to Thai airlines and sorted out flight and flight changes for the way home, but Im still arriving back in the UK at the same time. SO flying to Bangkok on thursday evening then travelling to Chenghai on Friday. Then wait I have a 12 hour train journey... ahhh lot of travelling but itll all be worth it in the end.

So am back in Takeo and I think I have a bit of sunstroke as me James and Andrew walked aroung Takeo lake on Sunday, so have a banging headache but hopefully that will go.

Had a look around a shopping centre today, I never realised Cambodian shopping could be so good, but anyway saving my self for central market on Thursday.

I am looking forward to going to the eye hospital tomorrow morning should be really good, but another early morning.

Been talking today about some of the Cambodian things that are really bac. Was driving down the street the other day and a bar was selling a 14 year old girls virginity for $1000. They have horrible things like that... when families cant afford things they can sell their child to a bar and inturn get a loan with very high interest. The child then works for the bar until the loan is paid off and then maybe go back to their family. But it cdan all end up in a viscious circle where the teenager works themselves up and can practically become a prostitute in a bar in Phnom Penh or something. I was also looking at the poverty. The disabled beggars that hang about the street asking for money. And the corruption, some people have masisve houses with hummers parked outside the front whereas some get paid a dollar and a quarter a day to sweat it out in a factory that makes t shirts. ANd then I look at the orphans, some are economic orphans (their families cannot afford to keep them), theres this boy who got really badly bullied and had his leg broken. His family couldnt afford to pay his medical fees so have to some how leave him.

There was a lady who was taken into the hospital in Takeo with a HIV level of 2, which when you start with HIV +ve is 10, she was just so ill. Its unbelieveable how ill people can get before they can be referred to a hospital and often just because their families cant get to the local council to prove they are too poor to pay for treatment.

But all this just makes me want to help even more, being a doctor or something here would be worthwhile because of how ill people get. Thats kind of why Im looking forward to India, its oging to be soooo different.

well Ill write again soon.

PS today i met such a cute elephant called Sambo!

Advertisement



14th July 2008

from Callum
hi megs glad to see you are ok . it all seens very exciting much more than what i been doing. going to help dad in the garden this afternoon, can't wait !!!! not speak to you soon love callum
14th July 2008

India
Hi Megz, Glad everything seems to be working out. sounds like you're going to be busy towards the end of the week. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in cambodia. It looks like you're going to be crossing the southern part of India by train which should be amazing. Take loads of photos. how are you getting from the airport to the station?? Have you organised train tickets yet?? Seen Trivandsum on the internet, looks much different to Takeo. Take care. loads of love Dad xxxxxxxxxxxxx
15th July 2008

missing you
did you have veg with your spider?! Callum says he'd eat one with tomato sauce!! Glad you are safe, speak soon, loads of love XXX
15th July 2008

hahaha no but theres a vegetable called morning glory, that I have that is basically runner beans! Hope your ok love and miss u all thanks for the comments. xxxxxx

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb