Poodling in Phnom Penh (part one)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 31st 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Am still in Cambodia, just about. My plane to Singapore's been delayed so now seems a good a time as any to catch up with this blogging lark........

Have been here just under a fortnight now. And it's been a different experience than expected. My friends who live here normally (Norman and Fi) who I would have been staying with have been in the UK as Fi's Mum died earlier this month. Ironically they get back today. In fact, I'm keeping my eyes peeled in case I see them walking through to Arrivals. They're due in some time this afternoon apparently............

Anyway, instead of chez Teeces I stayed with a couple who've lived here about 13 years now, Michael and Elizabeth King. I'd heard their names before through Horizons channels and had a vague recollection of seeing Michael at a Horizons gathering in Llanelli years ago but apart from that they were an Unknown. It was with some relief and gladness then, to roll up and then be swiftly taken out for noodles, a goodly measure of beer and the beginnings of some quirky and clicky conversations. All was well.

The next day was Saturday so, very generously I thought, Michael and Elizabeth (M&E from now on) took me for a tour round Phomn Penh (PP from this point forth) in a motorcycle pulled carriage known as a "Tuk Tuk" (TT henceforth, forthwith and from now and forever Amen). We stopped off at a park abounding with monkeys (well, about 2 at least) and a market abounding with live fish, dead fish, pigs trotters, pigs snouts, silk scarves, silk bags, silk pencil cases, silk fish, silk pigs and pairs of wooden snogging pigs on elastic (amongst other things). Late afternoon was a leisurely affair having hit happy hour at a marvellous Moroccan cafe just off the beaten track. Cocktails all round and a mezze type lunch ensued and then later in the evening, a trip to a small local theatre to see a shadow puppet show complete with traditional music and dance.

And that was just the first day! For the rest of the story I'll blog on in Australia where I'll be tomorrow. Or possibly in Singapore a few hours from now where the internetting's free and you can get a free foot massage too. Not at the same time, sadly, but maybe that's in the pipeline. You never know. Amazing place. Definitely the Hilton of all airports. So bye for now. Half an hour til take-off so better go. T'ra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Michael and ElizabethMichael and Elizabeth
Michael and Elizabeth

Cocktails at the Moroccan caff
Into battleInto battle
Into battle

Scene from the shadow puppet play
Traditional performersTraditional performers
Traditional performers

The shadow puppet cast


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb