You ate what?!?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
December 10th 2007
Published: December 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Penh. A few sights, a ZOO, good and weird food all packed in 3 days.
All in all, we werent too impressed with Cambodian capital. It wasnt as different from Kroh Koh Kong or Sihanoukville as one might expect. Dusty roads, tons of motorcycles, very few cars and chaotic traffic. Photos should explain about the sites we went to see. Perhaps the 2 most interesting things about Phnom Penh for us were food challenges and bargaining while souvenir shopping on citys great markets.
As far as food is concerned, we tried quite a few different desserts, only to find most of them strange tasting for our Western tastes. Not too sweet and mostly sticky. Coming back to the title of this post - the weirdest thing we tried in Phnom Penh was a fried spider (see photo). Believe it or not, it actually doesnt taste bad at all.
And the markets... Phnom Penh has at least 5 big markets, of which we visited 3. Each has hundreds of stalls selling everything imagiinable. Since in South Eastern Asia, by our experience, you have to bargain everywhere, so have we done as well. Had we not had the experience from Thailand and Cambodia as well, we wouldve paid way too much for our souvenirs. So far we have found the following bargaining technique to be the most effective: look, get the first price, ask for a discount, offer half or less, get the final price and walk away. Theyll stop you and offer you an even cheaper price.
After seeing the most important sights and grabbing some souvenirs, we got on the bus for Siem Reap to see one of the greatest wonders of the world - the temples of Angkor.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb