Pooh Pen - the Capital


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 25th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Penh, six hour bus trip which gives a great view of the rural Cambodia. The landscape is flat and completely barren. People live with pretty much nothing and yet they are still very happy. It really made me realise how complex my life is. After two wee wee stops and the worst toilets in the world (I actually reclaim this statement after Vietnam), I decide against civilisation and go in the bushes next to our driver (when in Rome...). Arriving in Phnom Penh was abit of spot the foreigners, well for all the TukTuk and moto operators whom swarmed over us like bees. No hotel transfer, they left, bugger! Make it to check in and then we went out to the killing fields. This was a very moving experience, and it is difficult to explain the feeling. We then went to the prison where “trials” were performed, mostly by torture. The prison was originally a school until 1975 and has been left unchanged with torture devices in rooms and bullet holes in the walls. Some 20000 people went through the prison during the five year tenure, only 7 were released. Needless to say that evening was a quiet one.
Smiling AndrewSmiling AndrewSmiling Andrew

It had been a while since I saw the big guy smile. Nothing like junk food to bring out the best in someone.
Andrew did however manage to find the only fast food restaurant in the whole of Cambodia. Given it was his first meal in over three days I let him off and we went to lucky burger for dinner. We found that the hotel tried to rip us off at every turn, and most of the locals were also somewhat annoying. We decided to bail on Phnom Penh, not before messing up the room. Word of warning to anyone staying at the Asia Hotel; do not use the tissues, water cooler or touch the sheets in room 409. Phnom Penh really was a dump, there were cows in town and they were eating garbage, I saw cat and dog advertised at several restaurants and I was quickly becoming vegetarian. I remember getting on the bus wishing that I had bought about twenty lucky burgers to get me through the next five days ahead. We had a four hour trip south to Sihanoukville, which Andrew only slept for about half of so we had some time to reflect and be thankful for how good a place New Zealand is.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Phenom PenhPhenom Penh
Phenom Penh

An indication as to the state of the city
Killing FieldsKilling Fields
Killing Fields

Erected memorial for fallen victims, it houses some of there skulls and cloths


20th March 2007

None
Sounds like you could do with a good kiwi breakfast. Love the photos. :-)
21st March 2007

Told you!!!
A big contrast to Singapore - better burgers and western food in Bangkok. Laos has a great French bakery and Italian restaurant at the square, which is really a circle - go get some wet-ones to travel with to enhance your toilet experiences. The Italian restaurant is called L'Opera - tuk tuk drivers in Laos should know where it is. The market there is also awesome and worth a look. Also, for the runs you can get a white liquid called Kaopectin which works a treat. Take care and avoid the mozzies - insect variety!!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb