Cambodia - Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
March 11th 2007
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Phnom Penh on Friday night after a 4 hour bus ride from Sihanoukville. After finding a hotel by the river we walked around town and had dinner at a great Indian restaurant before returning to the hotel to watch a DVD. On Saturday, we hired a tuk-tuk for the day and our first stop was the shooting range. I fired 12 bullets from an AK47 and 4 bullets from a Colt 45 at a paper target. Our next stop was the Killing Fields where thousands of Cambodian’s were brought to be executed during the Khmer Rouge regime. There were a total of 129 mass graves of which 86 were excavated and the skulls of over 8,000 men, women and children are displayed in a white stupa memorial. We then went to the Tuol Sleng Museum (Security Prison 21 or S21). In 1975, this former high school was turned into the largest centre of detention and torture in the country. The torture rooms and prison cells along with photo exhibitions and written accounts from people on both sides’ leaves a lasting impression of the unthinkable horrors that occurred here. Our final stop for the day was the National Museum which included Khmer artwork from the past 1,000 years. That night we went out drinking before finding a late night bar/club called Heart of Darkness. On Sunday, we were nursing hangovers and so we had a fairly lazy day just walking around the local area. After another tasty dinner at the local Indian restaurant, we watched a film before having a relatively early night as we had to be up early on Monday for our bus to Siem Reap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th April 2007

Saying Hello
Whats up Colin, its Bandaid, I've been keeping up with your blogs, you've definitely seen a lot so far and looks like your having a blast. Keep it up also let me know how the beer is in all these different countries. Be safe and have a great time out there. Cheers mate, Alex aka Bandaid

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb