Another Khao Sarn Road


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

In a Tuk-tukIn a Tuk-tukIn a Tuk-tuk

Check out the new hair!
In the end, we decided to skip Sihanoukville and proceed for Phnom Penh directly. YL is very keen on getting to Vietnam as quickly as possible. We're staying in another backpacker area. I forget the name of this place but it's hugging the Boeng Kak Lake in the northern part of central Phnom Penh. We are staying at a really SWEET place, Number 9 Sister Guesthouse (no it's not a guesthouse owned by a 9th sister, but rather, it is the sister guesthouse of Number 9 guesthouse *ahhhhh*) which sits directly on the lake! We spend almost all our time bumming in the common area playing pool, having a few beers and checking out the beautiful lake view. The street is littered with budget guesthouses and cheap farang food so we've been eating a record amount of western food here in Phnom Penh.

After visiting all these places - Thailand, Siemreap and now Phnom Penh - I have come to realise that a good experience is very heavily influenced by the accommodation, both comfort and location. It has also made me realise that staying in backpacker areas doesn't allow us to truly understand the place we're in. Yes, there are
Killing FieldsKilling FieldsKilling Fields

Again, more than 8000 skulls.
plenty of chicks around and the night scene is pretty happening, but it is starting to seem a bit... homogeneous! I am making a mental note to veer away from farang areas in Vietnam... ok, maybe after Ho Chi Minh haha.

Well, yesterday we visited 2 depressing places, the killing fields and S21 (detention centre, ex-school), both have witnessed many atrocities of the Pol Pot (read: Khmer Rouge) dictatorship. Mass graves, skulls, torture chambers, hundreds of pictures of the victims.. it is shocking to find out that this nightmare occurred so recently, only several decades ago in the 60s and 70s. And when the world could no longer ignore the internal genocide of Cambodia, it was much too late to do anything.

In 2 days time, we're off to Ho Chi Minh by bus.. Vietnam, here we come!

Gong Xi Fa Cai everyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

S21S21
S21

These cells were where the victims slept while shackled.
S21S21
S21

Victims were shackled to the beds for torture and interrogation. If you're observant, you can see the blood splattered on the ceiling.
Cut and ColourCut and Colour
Cut and Colour

YL with a condom on his head
Killing FieldsKilling Fields
Killing Fields

That is a stupa to pay tribute to the more than 8000 victims at the killing fields alone. The victims' skulls and clothes can be seen inside.
Number 9 GuesthouseNumber 9 Guesthouse
Number 9 Guesthouse

Chilling by the lake, watching the sunset.
GuesthouseGuesthouse
Guesthouse

View from the deck! Incredible


22nd February 2007

Woh! blondie!
23rd February 2007

lack of ***
find it at heart of darkness
23rd February 2007

lack of Aids you can also find it at heart of darkness..haha!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb