phnom pehn


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
January 10th 2007
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

this city is very different from siem reap but has it's charms. it is the most non-asian looking city i've seen. the buildings are very french colonial (for obvious reasons), it is still a city but not nearly the size of bangkok, it certainly has a different feel about it. last night we went to a concert presented by the US Embassy, it was the chicago trio playing american music....certainly an interesting experience right in the middle of south east asia. we also had good italian food at a little place called the pop cafe with chanda's friend fred. today we shopped and shopped and then chanda and i went to wat phnom (the temple on the hill). tomorrow, we will head for the coast.

while here we also visited the S-21 prison and the killing fields, it was a harrowing experience to see all of the mugshot pictures of many of the victims who died in those places. it felt different from other memorials i have been to or say, the holocaust museum because you are actually standing right in the place where it happened.

i really like cambodia and last night fred informed me that the peace corps has just opened an office here for the first time.....which gives me something to think about. the people here have an amazing spirit and have come so far since their country was destroyed. it is strange to think that it all occurred within my lifetime.

we only have a week left in our trek, i will be sad to leave this place and am NOT looking forward to the plane trip home, but i AM looking forward to mazza, red iguana and cheese fries from the training table. if you get a call from me next weekend to eat good old american food, DON'T be surprised!!

we'll be home at about 9:30pm on the 18th...see you soon.

Advertisement



12th January 2007

thanks
you don't know me, but i am an old friend of chanda's. thank you so much for updating everyone on your trip. it sounds really amazing and wonderful. it's been fun to read (and know you are all safe, and more well than not). travel safely. please say hello to chanda for me. and have some red iguana in my stead upon your return. (i moved to nj and we have no red iguana here. i miss it and many other slc restaurants terribly, not to mention my friends)
13th January 2007

chanda sends hugs and kisses!
he is right now giggling at his computer!! we will definitely have some red iguana for you! sunny

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb