Kampot


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
December 21st 2012
Published: December 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A two hour journey sees us get into Kampot at about 10, and then a tuk tuk ride to our accomadation at Ganesha.

The place is 4 km out of the centre and I must admit at point on the journey in was thinking of telling the driver to turn the bike around. We were driving along the worst roads I've even seen actually they were more like footpaths and through a small community of very run down shacks....until we came along the drive and the driver pulled into this very well pruned and beautiful garden. We were here and wow what a diffence from the shacks around the corner. We are met by true French owner who does tell the tuk tuk man off for parking on the grass.

And walks us into the main building which has slow reggae music being played. The place is lovely, unfortuantly our room is not ready but we sit and chat to Emanuel for a bit, and his wife Stephanie.

This was a last minute booking I the night before last and I hadn't really taken much notice in what the place had looked like as it was the only place with availability we could find, but wow were we in for a treat. Stephanie walked us through the gardens toma smaller pond , around the pond were 3 or 4 wooden yerts on stilts, and one was ours : )

Up in our little yert felt like being a kid in a tree house so lovely and the view of the neighbouring cardomon mountains was a real treat.

Luckily here they had bikes to rent for free so making the most of it we hired two and went into Kampot town center to suss out the place, and we'd been told about a little bakery selling the best chocolate brownie, so thought that would worth a visit.

Arriving at Sisters 2 we are greeted at the door by the owner we had lunch which served the best home made chips new had both ever tasted followed by...oh yes the best brownie we had both tasted, it oozed in the middle it was chocolate heaven.

Kampot is only 1km long by 400m wide so there isnt a whole lot else to see.

That night we stayed at the lodge for food (really really good Khmer curry) and a few bevies with Emanuel and a couple of games of pool with a couple of kids from belgium.

We both look forward to a lie-in in the morning.



So much for the lie-in I was up bright and early and breakfast by the river. Then heading into town to book out tickets to get us to Phu Quoc.

You seriously take your life into your hands driving on these roads, a bike is bad enough, they don't believe in road lanes and the horn is used to tell you to literally get out of their way!

Anyway I made it back, very hot and dusty ready for an early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb