Kampot - Pepper and more crab


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampot
May 26th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a big night it was a relaxing day touring the countryside with Rob, a dutchman who was one of our fellow travellers up Bokor and on the sunset cruise. Rob had organised a tuk tuk for the day and invited us to join him. First stop was a cave with temple inside, bit of a non event as I had left my torch back at the hotel and didn't fancy scrambling through the unknown in the darkness. I am surprised that none of the dozen or so kids that came from no-where to be our 'guide' had worked out that a torch might give them an advantage.

It was then a long ride to a pepper plantation which in itself is some what under whelming but the journey there was fantastic. We really saw cambodian rural life up close and personal as we travelled through the minor roads. I couldn't even begin to count the number of children who ran towards the road yelling "hello". The different standard of living even between rural cambodians is stark. Virtually next door to a large brick villa will be a lean-to obviously made with whatever could be scrounged around the area. And then right next door to a corrugated iron shack will be a mobile phone tower. I doubt if there is anywhere in Cambodia without mobile coverage.

We headed to Kep as Rob hadn;t been there yet, found a few old villas for him to photograph and then lunch at the crab markets again. On the way back to Kampot we visited a muslim fishing village and the salt fields. All in all an enjoyable day

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb