Kampong Speu, Sprawling with Life


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Kampong Speu
December 20th 2012
Published: December 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Rice FieldsRice FieldsRice Fields

Where we learn not to take each and every grain for granted
Back in Kampong Speu, and have discovered much more than when I first did. Well, definitely not a tourist destination with barely any locals having the command of English. It a really nice location for an away-from-the-city spot, and if one wants to come here to be involved with community work, there is always the Karuna hospitality school (or guesthouse) where one can have overnight stays with wifi. Collaborating with Sao Sary Foundation (SSF) together with SIF, we did a total of 19 water filters and made some progress to the latrine construction. More so, I have learnt much deeper about the Non-government-organization (NGO) than I did previously. Had the chance to talk to the Singapore representative (and it happens that there is another Singaporean group here as well!) to find out much about the community work they get involved in Kampong Speu. A really noble cause done by SSF, reaching out to massive locals in terms of water, livelihood and education for the young. It is with the knowledge of such, that continues to strengthens one's beliefs in the good cause of mankind. Yet another humbling learning experience for myself. As the saying goes, every time you return, you learn something new. The abundance of land, mostly padi fields, clear skies, and warmth from the villagers add the icing to the cake. Will definitely be back again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Installation of water filterInstallation of water filter
Installation of water filter

Simple device allowing villagers access to clean drinking water, preventing common water-related diseases
Building latrineBuilding latrine
Building latrine

Building one is harder than it seems!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb