25 March 2010


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Bokor Hill Station
April 20th 2010
Published: May 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we’re off for a trip up to Bokor National Park, which is not as easy as it sounds. It’s a long climb up Bokor Hill in the heat and we're all exhausted (one guy takes his shirt off, wrings it three times and a flood of sweat actually comes gushing out of it each time! We all agree it’s the first time we’ve ever seen anything like it).

As we approach the top, we realise the worst is not over - there are works going on and we have to make our way past what the guide likes to refer to as 'human landmines'. The stink is pretty unbearable but I guess we're lucky - the guide tells us that someone landed in one up to their ankle last week. Urgh! Anyway, we make it safely to the top and take in some absolutely stunning views.

A pickup is waiting to take us to the national park and we all settle on a mattress in the back. But the road is one of the bumpiest ever and the mattress is not much protection as we are jostled up and down. It is really painful each time our backsides are whacked down and there are lots of groans and expletives being released. In fact, we agree that the climb felt pretty bearable in comparison. We finally make it to the scenic National Park and it is as eerie as they say, with all the mist and dilapidated building. (We are surprised to discover, however, that there is a large development project taking place in the middle of it).

On the way down I realise that I’ve done my knee in during the climb so it’s a long and painful journey down. I manage to slip, slide and trip my way down to the bottom. What a relief to be on flat ground again! The day ends with a lovely relaxing boat trip, watching the beautiful sunset. The kid on the boat is really keen to practice his English and spends the whole trip asking us random questions (I guess he’s going through his textbook).

Anyway, at the end of the day I am glad that I did it, especially as the development is taking place in the park and it will completely change. And okay, so the climb was exhausting, but I enjoyed the challenge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

It was a relief to reach the top and take in this viewIt was a relief to reach the top and take in this view
It was a relief to reach the top and take in this view

We didn't know we had the nightmare of a pickup journey coming up ...


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb