The Adventure begins......


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 16th 2017
Published: April 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

G'day to our loved ones from Siem Reap in Cambodia. Relaxing by the pool (someone has to do it) before our 4 hour, 20 km bike ride thru rice fields, markets, a mushroom farm and a visit to a local school at 2 o'clock this afternoon.



Having left Perth airport almost 2 weeks ago, it now seems a life time ago.

From the beautiful laid back island of Koh Samui that didn't stop raining, highlights included the bright Mexican inspired hotel we stayed at, fire twirlers on the beach to boof boof music, the amazing food and Singha beer. I got stopped by every airport customs and security checks along the way, (I must look like the typical drug lord), including Koh Samui airport, where Mali and myself waited for our passports to be stamped, long after everyone else had left the airport. Just me and my boy, two lonely travellers. Anyway they must have took pity on us and finally let us thru.



Next stop Hua Hin (pronounced Wu Win), a local tourist spot on the coast in mainland Thailand. Highlights included the $40 a night hotel, in a quiet little cute street. Mali discovered Thailand food, sticky rice, banana pancakes, satay chicken, Tom yum soup, which he eats with a bottle of water beside him, one mouthful of soup, one mouthful of water. Spicy, but he loves it.



From there we shared a mini bus to crazy town, Bangkok. OMG, busy, tuk-tuk, taxi, ferry, walking, stinking hot, drinking, eating spicy food and doing a lot of 'trying to work out where the hell we are' stuff. There are the ladies yelling at everyone on the local ferry up and down the river that runs thru the city, not sure what they say, but something like ' fucking tourist, move over, sit down, shut up, NOW!' type of words. Some Japanese lady, got fed up, and there was an all out brawl, much to everyone's entertainment. Secretly, it was a a proud moment for everyone, feelings of 'yeah, you go Japanese lady, go girl'.



We were happy to leave, and to our next destination, and second country Cambodia. A taxi ride to the station in Bangkok, 5hr local train, then a tuk tuk, a bus, then a mini bus and finally a tuk tuk to our hotel. Woke up at 4am that morning and arrived at 6.30pm that night. We were exhausted.

So......we had a local beer of course, Angkor Beer.



Love the feel of the place, pay in American dollar, and lots of it. The main reason for our stay here in Siem Reap was to see Angkor Wat. The largest temple complex in the world built about 1000 years ago. Originally a Hindu temple, and later Buddhist. We happened to arrived at the beginning of the Khmer New Year celebrations, which lasted three days, the exact time we would be staying. The streets were decorated with party lights, flags and various lanterns, loud music was on every corner, and the whole of Cambodia was meeting together at this nation icon for the new year. They got there industrial size water guns out and wet everything including me, of course it didn't help that Colin and Mali were pointing at me to target. We loved the place and actually didn't want to leave. Anyway 'Arkourn' (meaning 'Thank you' in Cambodian) for reading, till the next adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Chilllax Hua HinChilllax Hua Hin
Chilllax Hua Hin

Colin floats away into another time
The amazing Bangkok CafeThe amazing Bangkok Cafe
The amazing Bangkok Cafe

OMG, loved the sticky rice, mango and pancakes. The food was exceptional thru out Thailand.
Haircut Thailand styleHaircut Thailand style
Haircut Thailand style

1.5 hours to get a haircut for Mali, 5 staff helping, 3 shampoos and head massage, lots of photos and laughter, and an experience we won't forget. Love your style, Thailand.
Siem Reap CambodiaSiem Reap Cambodia
Siem Reap Cambodia

Walkin the streets, Cambodian style
More Angkor WatMore Angkor Wat
More Angkor Wat

Hindu and Buddhism come together
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

One of the temple, huge steps, and great views
Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

Looking mighty cute.
Angkor Wat, Anka What?Angkor Wat, Anka What?
Angkor Wat, Anka What?

Half of Cambodia decend on Angkor Wat.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb