The many faces of Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 5th 2006
Published: September 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well kids,
It seems that the last entry: "Nunny's thoughts" has appeared to put a downer on things, but never fear, Monty has now arrived and the party just keeps on getting better.

After Monty was met by none other than Mark Fennel himself at the airport, we dumped bags at our guest house, where Monty and Christopher met face to face for the first time (love at first site no doubt) . We had some breakie then headed into the Old Market area to get harrassed by children begging for water, selling photocopied Lonely Planet books or being confronted by Land mine victims asking for money. Apart from throwing Mont into the thick of things, we did also have to pick up some shoes and hats etc, and contact the bank yet again.
They love us I'm sure.

Again, a great opportunity to show Mont around an Asian style market, and a chance for me to finally take some photos in there so you peeps back home and can enjoy it too.

Mission completed - note, Mont looks great in his Lady thongs, that match his very practical bamboo hat - we recover briefly from the heat to then leave Mont resting and Andrew, Nunny and Christopher headed out to the hospital to donate blood. Lining the pavement outside are literally hundreds of parents and small children waiting patiently to get in (this is a daily sight) where across the road another hotel construction site begins to shadow the road.

We gratefully accepted right in, only to find that once you get onto the hospital property there are another couple of hundred people waiting in a large hall where they are also informed about different child care techniques, hygiene etc while they continue to wait to be seen.

Just like any other hospital, that wonderul smell of disinfectant was thick in the air, as we made our way to a smallish airconditioned room to fill out forms, get our blood group tested and lie down while blood pours from your arm into a sterile bag. They got pretty excited when they saw my AB blood group as it is in high demand, and not many donators are in this group.
Liquid gold I tells ya, liquid gold.

Simple, easy, quick we leave to collect Mont and head out to the NGO Land Mine
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

The brothers unite
Clearance museum, the 4 of us in a tuk tuk bumping all over the shop. Wonderful place. The founder Aki Ra was an ex Cambodian and Vietnamse soldier that has dedicated the last 30 years identifying, removing, eduacating and campaigning for the safety of the Cambodian people. Very small museum that is nonetheless daunting and sad, but is also manned by around 20 or so young volunteers that now live there after being directly affected by landmines, or were born with physical disabilities and abandoned. This kids are great, and despite having the eyes assaulted with info about mines, and reading the individual stories, you also had the continuos laughter and giggling of some of the female residents who were playing in the river. It was a great juxtaposition and the place overall had a great feeling of hope.
Check out his website: http://www.akiramineaction.com/

Intentions to go out to Angkor Wat for the sunset were canned as it was too late, and we instead took the opportunity to welcome Mont properly to Cambodia and went out for dinner and drinks at a bar afterwards. Naturally it was going to be a quiet one as we had booked a tuk
Siem ReapSiem ReapSiem Reap

The colours of the markets
tuk driver for a 4.45am pickup to see the sunrise at the temples.

We left the bar at 3am.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Remind me again why people eat meat?
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Market stall
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Display of mines and bombs used throughout Cambodia
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

THe boys hit the dance floor along eith Kerry from Melbourne
Siem ReapSiem Reap
Siem Reap

Christopher and Nunny lament that they must go home to bed


Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb