Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
July 9th 2012
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We experienced a typical event on our Friday departure day. Wouldn't you know that after three days of being banned from the beach due to rain, our last day dawns with partly cloudy skies - even the beach chairs and umbrellas were brought out by 9:30am or so. Of course, we were not able to take advantage of the sun as we didn't have time to get out and get back for our check out time. We had to settle for our free leg/foot massage in the early afternoon before our flight.



Our flight! Good thing I've had enough experience flying in Alaska to not be too frazzled. We arrived in plenty of time to the airport in Phuket, just like a good traveler should. However, as we stood in the line we noticed the sign saying our flight was going to be delayed over three hours. This strikes a little apprehension in any one who has a connection to make. Thankfully, I noticed one of the agents walking around with the flight number of an earlier flight - an obvious indication that there was a flight due to leave soon. Brassy gal that I am, I took the initiative to ask if we could make an earlier flight so could make the connection. Lost in the translation of the agents dealing with this dilemma, we were quickly shuttled through the gate, through immigration, through security, with an agent waiting for us and about five other passengers - barely making the flight to Bangkok.



Bangkok - now that was another story! We arrived a few minutes earlier than our scheduled flight, which gave us some time to get down the terminal - and down to the nether regions where our flight was due to depart. You'd think the hand written sign asking for the first zone of passengers would have been our first clue. As so should have been the late boarding, the standing on the bus due to take us to the tarmac for over 30 minutes, the boarding a rickety plane, the endless taxiing out and right back to the gate, the disembarking, the return via bus to the terminal, the wait for reboarding, and the reboarding a different aircraft. Actually, it all turned out just fine, thankfully.



Our arrival at the Golden Temple Hotel in Siem Reap was pretty eventless. We did get to ride in a tuk-tuk - with quite a bit of luggage - to our hotel. We did not expect that! It was a charming memory to ride through the rain soaked streets at night. We arrived to a lovely hotel with the most accommodating staff. At least three of whom I just want to put in my pocket and bring home with me. They arranged a full day of temple hopping for our first day in Siem Reap.



Saturday brought a very nice tuk-tuk driver and English speaking guide. The temples are a bit of a blur - so some of the pictures may have to tell the story. There is so much history at each of the temples, and each one built by a different king at a different time with a different religious influence. Angkor Thom was our first stop - with a visit through the iconic faces of Bayon. I think it was Buphon after that - and a visit around the Terrace of the Elephants and the Terrace of the Leper King. This was followed by a short lunch break before heading to Ta Prom - what the locals are now calling "tomb raider" temple - and on to Angor Wat for the afternoon. Many of the temples are under restoration - all of them being restored by one foreign company/country or other. Our guide told us this was accepted by the Cambodians and even appreciated as the country doesn't have the means or the equipment to do this. He said they don't even have the cranes it would take to move the massive stone blocks that were moved into the area a thousand years ago by elephants. The late afternoon brought a welcome respite from the oppressive heat before hitting the night markets one more time.



Sunday was a quiet day. We spent the morning at the Artisans d' Angkor. A non-profit and NGO organization that is striving to revive the traditional crafts of the Cambodian people. They train young, disabled and/or disadvantaged people in the traditional arts and then provide continuing support and training for them. We came back to the hotel for a Khmer cooking class and then an afternoon of resting and recovering from the day before - before tackling the idea of getting up at 4:30 for a sunrise visit to Angkor Wat on Monday.

Monday - well, I made it to Angkor Wat for sunrise at 5:30 - but did not feel at all up to a full day. I won't regal you with the tales of the reasons why - I'm sure you can all figure that out - but let's just say I left Noelle with our scheduled guide and took an impromptu ride in my own tuk-tuk back to the hotel for the day. I tried to rest - and was able to in afternoon. Noelle enjoyed her day out at Bantay Srei and several other temples before coming back. We have scheduled a day out of town at Tonle Sap lake and Beng Melea temple tomorrow. Wish me luck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



18th July 2012
UploadedFile10

Very cool!
I love ALL THE PICTURES! But especially this one! (I think you understand)... actually, I know you understand :) -Ash

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb