Siem Reap & Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 19th 2009
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were in Siem Reap to see the Temples of Angkor and after spending one day avoiding crippling 43°C heat we set off on push bikes along with a guy from Hong Kong. For those who may not know, the temples were all built somewhere between 800AD - 1250AD by the kings of Cambodia, each new one in a pi**ing contest kinda way just had to build one biggest than the last, resulting eventually in the most famous, Angkor Wat. As spectacular as Angkor Wat is however, my favorite was definitely Ta Phrom which is surrounded and also covered by trees, it's as if you are really exploring somewhere that you shouldn't be.

Saw my first worthy amount of rain on my third day in Angkor, unfortunately it was as I was cycling the 6km to the temples. A Mexican girl I met the night before had a good laugh out of her tuk-tuk as she zoomed past me waving...

Siem Reap considering what I had thought of Cambodia before I arrived was very modern in the centre and the morning we left a KFC opened! It's a great place


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Headless BuddhaHeadless Buddha
Headless Buddha

The Khmer Rouge were responsible for cutting the heads off and damaging all religious statues as part of there crazed attempts to create a total agrarian society with no religion.
Bayon Temple in Angkor ThomBayon Temple in Angkor Thom
Bayon Temple in Angkor Thom

Face of Avalokiteshvara, an enlightening being who encompasses the compassion of all of the Buddhas.
Wanted a Dollar For a PhotoWanted a Dollar For a Photo
Wanted a Dollar For a Photo

They ran off when a security guard spotted them. They were friendly enough!
Cooling DownCooling Down
Cooling Down

Even the horses need to take a load off and cool down from the brutal and overbearing heat.
Chester Attracts a CrowdChester Attracts a Crowd
Chester Attracts a Crowd

When his tire burst, the good people of Cambodia came up trumps in their efforts to get it fixed. Several tried to help and eventually a security officer took Chester and his bike off on his moped to have it repaired!
OvergrownOvergrown
Overgrown

Some things really make you realise just how long ago Angkor was created.
Ta ProhmTa Prohm
Ta Prohm

Embarrassingly known these days as the 'Tomb Raider Temple'


Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 20; qc: 96; dbt: 0.2261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb