Cambodia: Old Market and Tonle Sap Lake


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 8th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Tonle Sap Lake Video 1 29 secs
2: Tonle Sap Lake Video 2 26 secs
3: Countryside ride video 28 secs
4: Killing Field Video 41 secs
5: Killing Field Video 73 secs

2 additional video(s) currently being processed
We arrived in Cambodia early in the morning to the small and quaint airport. We were picked up by our driver Sun Same. He and his brother Sang were great drivers and guides they made our 4 day stay in Cambodia that much more memorable. If you ever find yourself in Siem Reap contact them www.driverinsiemreap.com. We stayed at the Golden Villa Temple Guesthouse, the staff there is great, the rooms are clean, the garden is great to relax in and it is very centrally located. Within walking distance to the old market (plus it is Cambodian owned). Upon arrival we walked around the dusty streets. The downtown is quiet and small a stark difference from the streets of Bangkok. We ended our walk at the old market buying some trinkets and finally finding some food vendors were we ate Banh Hou which is a cold noodle dish with vegtables and eggrolls and some Pho soup. Both were delicious and a little over a dollar. It was hot and we cooled down at our hotel restuarant drinking the National beer Angkor (only 75 cents). We relaxed until our driver picked us up and took us to Tonle Sap Lake for sunset. Before heading to the lake we stopped by the Killing Fields in Siem Reap smaller than the one found in the capital but even so, seeing the skulls and the skeletal remains of all the victims under the Pol Pot regime was haunting and sad. Afterwards we rented a boat all to ourselves. Dapri conversed in Khmer with the boat operator as he explained life on the Lake. I was so amazed at how big the lake is, it is the biggest fresh water lake in Southeast Asia full of fish. This is an even more extensive village on water than the ones we encountered in Thailand. I enjoyed seeing how the locals lived, the kids playing in playgrounds on water. Watching the sunset over the water was beautiful. We invited Sun to dinner and he took us to a more local spot where we ate a Khmer dish I call Fish pancake that I've never had but was delicious.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb