Kids, cows, and potholes


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! After an 8 hour bumpy bus ride, Rudi and I finally arrived in Siem Reap, Cambodia! The first 4 hours were spent travelling from Bangkok to the border, at which point we waited until our Visas were prepared. The time was spent in a market that was absolutely massive - the market was at least 10 times as big as the largest Caribbean market either of us had ever seen! From there, we took the bumpy bus (we're talking worse than dirt road Pottageville/Port Perry) to Siem Reap. I have a whole new appreciation for our road maintenance and they drive WORSE than Jamaicans!! Our bus driver even managed to hit a girl on a motorcycle as we were pulling into the hotel. Good times!

Bus ride was okay - kids everywhere. One of the poor girls had a twoonie on her that she'd tried in vain to have exchanged at the bank, so I exchanged it for her and she was so happy that she gave me a pretty green bracelet.

We also passed by a tonne of cows - if you could even call them that. They were so skinny that the meat looked like it was hanging off the bones. Sure hope we're not eating those any time soon.

We're at the hotel now - it's not bad (certainly better than the "2.5 star" in Bangkok) and we'll be heading out to dinner soon. Tomorrow is the big tour of Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, plus a hot air balloon ride at the end of the day so that we can get pictures of them from the air at sunset. Should be fun!

We'll probably write again tomorrow night since the Internet access is just 50 cents per hour. It's better than dialup, which is kinda surprising considering where we are.

Bye for now,
Amy & Rudi

Advertisement



3rd March 2008

Good Deed!!! Reading that you exchanged her Toonie was the highlight of the read! Pay it forward ;) POST SOME PICS GOD DAMNIT!! I'm like a first grader....I want pics to go with the story! As Hal and Joanne always say "Keep fit and have fun!" XOXOXO

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb