To Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
September 6th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At last, the unfortunate time arrived to leave the tropical island paradise of Koh Tao. After taking pictures of just about everything to make up for a curious lack of them beforehand (including a top notch photo of an aerial photo to confuse everyone), we visited another ferry to meet the train further up the mainland. etc etc long journey with many a delay and mouldy toilet (actually the womans' that I accidentally used - possibly the damage-limitation part of my subconscience making me avoid the mens).

Eventually arriving in Cambodia by plane - thankfully the airborne affair appeared more in shape than previous local ferry rides. Phnom Penh is a seemingly much hotter city than Bangkok - possibly because the sunlight can actually pierce through the smog, or perhaps because the swathes of idle TukTuks and demanding drivers by the side of the road contribute more greenhouse gas to the atmosphere than the world's largest methane depository celebration ceremony.

Unfortunately for Cambodia (minus the present day tourism industry), it has a bit of a gruesome history, and naturally we visited the main museums (killing pits/mass graves, and school->prison conversion), which were disturbing, but otherwise of medium interest. While visiting the Royal Palace, however, we were ushered out of staring at the massive, green, green, Buddha, because the actual president of Laos was popping in to look around. As I sat, looking at some country's most important person bowing down to an ancient (and apparently very envious) monk, I wondered what the chances of Gordon Brown or Santa Claus (or even Mr. Tickle) wandering in behind him were (answers at end of blog).

As fun as imagining a farfetched meeting of miscellaneous world leaders was, it was soon time to depart to Siem Reap - and the birthplace of the legendary temples of Angkor Wat. While watching the scenery pass and wondering just how endless a stream of huts and rice fields could be, a town suddenly appeared and we stopped for lunch. Upon exiting the bus, there appeared to be an oppurtunist old woman, who had decided to sit down outside the door as a request for money. Of course I am not one to disrespect the difficulties some people face in countries like this. But it seemed a little dishonest of her considering she was sitting with what appeared to be a bag full of shopping from the adjacent market. And before I get any dissaproving glances, Vikki and myself bought a bag of bananas and distributed them to nearby children as a mark of good faith.

As for now, we are in Siem Reap and shall venture off to the temples in the morning. So, I shall be back in but a few days post Angkor style, until then, adioso!


(The answers to the quiz were approximately (to 1 s.f.) 1/100000, 0 and 0.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb