Those Aren't Birds


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 17th 2007
Published: March 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, Lisa and I went for a jog this morning -- we're trying to work off all the curry, rice, and "occassional" beer. The previous night on our way to our first traditional dance show + dinner we saw a nicely manacured garden near the royal residence next to the river. Since all the roads near our hotel were either rocky dirt, or swarming with cars, we thought that walking to the garden and jogging there would be a good idea. Turns out it was.

While we were there at this garden (I think it was the gardens for the Grand Angkor Hotel), we saw a huge amount of what we first thought were birds circling the a group of large trees. Have you ever seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Do you remember the part where they're approaching the palace/temple and the woman says "oh, look at all the birds"? Doctor Jones says, "those aren't birds, babe, those are vampire bats." Well, that was what happened to us this morning. There were litterally thousands of large bats flying, hanging, and screetching around this park. They had to have had a one to two feet wingspan. It was quite a site, and even some locals were pointing.

Lisa kept saying, "I thought bats only came out at night?" Me too.

Now we're off to get lunch before we head back to Bangkok for a few days.

Advertisement



20th March 2007

just dont eat the monkey brains!
title says it all!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb