Goodbye Cambodia, Hello Laos


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 20th 2007
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

so we have just spent the last couple of days looking at temples... wow, and boy are there alot of temples at Angkor Wat... you might be under the impression that Angkor Wat, is just that one, massive, amazing temple... and yes it is, but there are so many more around Angkor. Anyway, after 2 full days of looking at them, we were pretty templed out! But impressed... so we have added a few photos for your viewing pleasure. We went to the temple where Tomb Raider (Angelina Jollie loves Cambodia hey)...was filmed, so jess and i ran around pretending to be her, ducking here and there, running in and out... so cool. We then spent a day playing at the Siem Reap Markets, practicing our bargaining skills and doing pretty good we thought. jess brought a true touristy outfit of fisherman pants and a kaftan with elephants on it. And then... the night arrived...

So on our last night in Siem Reap we met up with my (Jessi) friend from Ireland, Richie, who happened to be there at the same time. We'd been trying to get through to him for a few days but didn't manage till then. Anyhoo
the  tomb raider tree temple thingthe  tomb raider tree temple thingthe tomb raider tree temple thing

now... we havent actually seen tomb raider but we hear that this is one very famous tree temple thing
we met up with him at a bar and (being Irish) he straight off bought us a shot each and after that reccomended the 'buckets.' We enquired what a bucket was and were told it is a bucket with a full tumbler of vodka toppd with red bull. But its that really strong medicine red bull. Apparantly these bucket things are all the rave in Thailand. So far we've only been having a few beers here and there so these things kinda hit us hard. We thought it would be good to have one each... Next thing we rock up at this proper Cambodian nightclub - it was huge! We went in and it was one of those old school clubs with tacky music (most of it Asian tho for a change) and strobe lighting to the max! It would go for 10 minute blocks at a time - intense! There were so many guys in there and it was such the difference being there with a guy, we got less hasstled than in Oz clubs. And we were only a few out of a handful of white faces in this place. It was so funny! But all good nights usually have consequences right? Well really bad hangovers on hot days are always gonna be pretty bad. But really bad hangovers on a hot day when you have to get up at 5am and travel from one South East Aisan country to another is really REALLY bad. We both had the worse shakes, and were so dizzy. We flew and about half way I (Jessi) actually had to use one of those spew bags! Oh we wanted to die. Got to Vientiane (Laos) and passed out. Learned our lesson tho, won't be doing that again in a rush. Say no to Irish!! (Parental units - we wasted almost a whole day of important travel time! So much culture and learning we jeapordised! We're so dissapointed with ourselves)

We tried to make up for that lost time today and hired bikes (the push bike variety, not the motor for all you thrill riders out there) We had a good old ride around Vientiane, checking out some Wats (temples... yes more...) and markets. We have found this restaurant that shows movies at night, so yeah getting into that now that the thought of drinking makes us queezy... Scary Movie 4 tonight, oh yeah!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

So this is the actual Angkor Wat temple. It was actually really breath-taking.
Cambodian girl selling postcardsCambodian girl selling postcards
Cambodian girl selling postcards

These kids are so funny. They follow you around the temples. They can count to 10 in at least 5 languages and then ask where you're from before listing your country's population, capital city, native animals etc. Great the 1st time, pretty irritating by the 50th!
Richie and JessRichie and Jess
Richie and Jess

the naughty irish boy
kid street  vendorskid street  vendors
kid street vendors

we bought pinapple... yum yum, 50c
Our roomOur room
Our room

As per true Darcie and Jessi style our room is always kept in ship shape order... we so know were everything is


20th January 2007

New Horizons
Angkor Wat and surrounds looks wonderful. Not sure whether either of you have the lips to do real Angelina impersinations. As for excessive drinking with Irishmen the night before early morning long distance travels.....well....just imagine my expression, now stay with that....I'll let you both add your own captions to that image! I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your wonderful travelblog additions. Things are fine in Brisbane although there are floods in Coober Pedy (Coobs) and Broken Hill (Brokes). Thousands of years of rain in a few seconds or something........who said there is such a thing as climate change going on? Stay healthy, happy and safe, love from Trev and Roxy, she sends a few licks to each of you. x slurp x slurp x slurp.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb