Siem Reap - Day 1


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
October 23rd 2022
Published: October 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Oh, dear, yesterday I started out with a bit of a headache, popped a couple of Aspros and managed to make it through the day OK. Last night, at bed time, I started to feel a bit congested and this morning I seem to have developed a proper head cold. Damn it!

Our tuk tuk driver from yesterday afternoon, Cholna (sounds more like Jonah), ran us down to Pub Street last night and made arrangements to pick us up at 9.30am this morning to start visiting temples.

First on our list today was Ta Keo. Ta Keo was the first sandstone temple mountain to be built by the Khmers. Its lack of carving makes it unlike other temples in the area and suggests that the construction was never finished. It is comprised of two terraces, a continuous gallery, libraries and four corner towers.

Close by is Ta Nei a 12th century stone temple dedicated to Buddha. It was built during the reign of King Jayavarman VII near the north-east corner of the East Baray a huge reservoir that was built in 900AD during the reign of King Yasovarman.

Our third stop for today was at Preah Khan 12 kilometres north of Siem Reap. Preah Khan is a huge (138 acre) Buddhist temple with unique decorative Hindu features, numerous carvings and Garuda sculptures. It is a labyrinth of courtyards, entryways, connecting corridors and ceremonial rooms and also features a number of towers and shrines. One of its most notable features is its Hall of Dancers.

Now, when we were dropped off at the East Gate of Preah Khan we should have asked Cholna to meet us at the West Gate. Shoulda, didn’t! That meant that, dripping with sweat, we had to make our way all the way back through the temple to the East Gate where Cholna was waiting for us. Please, take us back to the hotel we all groaned feeling desperately in need of lunch, cold beverages and some pool time!

As we tootled back into Siem Reap with Cholna we drove north to south through Angkor Thom. We didn’t stop today as we plan to do all of the temples in the Angkor Thom group another day. Actually, I tell a lie, we did stop because we had to pull off the road for a Buddhist Ceremony that was walking through the complex. Very exuberant and colourful.

After a lovely afternoon relaxing by the pool Cholna ran us down to Pub Street again tonight for dinner. Mediterranean food again, this time Greek.



Steps for the day: 8,188 (4.91km)


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb