Cambodia - Days 3-4, Cycling, Waterfalls, more sugar


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 2nd 2022
Published: March 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

For the next two days, we cycled the back country roads outside of Cambodia, to see the local life and experience more food stops! When we left the floating village, thankfully we did not have to cycle along the long long levee, and instead got a ride in the support van. We stopped at the village near the entrance to the park and visited the local market, where there were many vendors selling fruit, raw fish, meat, and pretty much anything else you could think of. It was interesting, but we did not buy anything here.

We continued on the country roads, getting covered in more red dust, and getting some more shade this time. There no real stops on the way except for some refreshments. It was fun to see so many school children on their own bikes who waved and had big grins as we passed each other. They were adorable and everyone in general seemed happy to finally see tourists making their way back. There were some beautiful tree lined lanes toward the end of the ride before we got to our lunch spot where we had another delicious meal. I got a giant coconut juice in the giant coconut, still cold - a definite rival for the passion fruit juice.

After lunch, we got into our van and on the way back to the hotel and saw a fairly large massage parlor where we stopped to see if we could book appointments for later. Thankfully, yes! So we got a nice shower, took a little nap, J and I hanging t the pool and enjoying a drink with G, and then we all came back at 5pm for our massages, all six of us! I had asked a few times if I could try the Khmer massage, which I believed was their local type and probably similar to a Thai massage, but they just gave all of us the aromatherapy one, me sharing a room with two other women. It was nice, very nice actually! But I was wishing for the other because of the cycling, I was a bit stiff and would have liked to have been stretched out. Anyway, it was wonderful.

The owner was so happy to have tourists at his parlor that he volunteered to drive us back to our hotel or to dinner so we did not have to get a taxi. He was so sweet, but he drove like a turtle. He apologized and said he really did not drive much at all, that they had another driver, but he wanted to do this service for us. So sweet, so we really could not complain. But, turtle. He dropped four members off at pub street where they had dinner and explored. J and I were exhausted and not at all hungry, so we had him take us to the hotel. My directions apparently took us to the old hotel location, so we found the correct one - so slow. Our friends asked if we got back safely, and we assured them that we could not be safer. He was so nice though - he was happy to see that the town was livening up again with many restaurants that were closed for two years open again. I guess it must be such a difference.

The next morning, we were scheduled to do a 50km then a hike to a waterfall. So, we left fairly early, and we got to see an amazing sunrise. It was hard to take a photo because there was no direct view, but it was bright red and with the blue sky, red roads, and greenery all around, the colors were amazing. After an hour of riding, we stopped for breakfast, my favorite of the trip by far. Probably my favorite meal actually. It was at this little rickety building near a dirty intersection, so none of us really knew what to expect. We were offered the choice of a curry in fish sauce or pork and rice. I chose the pork and rice because the curry sounded too heavy. But then they brought out the curry and I asked to try so I got one of my own. O. M. G. Delicious! The fish taste was extremely light, just a bit of flavor, but it was definitely a yellow curry. They also serve with a variety of greens, including coriander and other random greens, but my favorite was the hyacinth blossom. Who knew it was edible! So, you add it to your bowl for a bit of color and you can eat the blossoms dipped in the curry and it is truly delicious. The guides were mixing a variety of items into their bowls, but I was happy with just a few things, but I can see how this is a great meal! I loved it.

We continued on and our next main stop was another random area in the middle of nowhere. It turned out to be a petrol station, where they sell petrol in re-used soda or alcohol bottles in a little trailer at the side of the road. We rested here, but our guide Kea aid we should walk next door where they were making palm sugar. I cannot remember all the details, but essentially they use many parts of the palm, including the burning of the wood. So, they had big vats of the sap boiling on a big outdoor stove while the woman was taking the completed product and putting into large plastic storage containers. Kea asked if we could have a taste - it was sooooo yummy! I'm not a big sweets person, but this was just so whole and pure. So four of us each bought a container of palm sugar from the woman. I'm not quite sure what I'll use it for, but apparently it can last a long time!

We continued on and this was a fairly long stretch until we stopped at another intersection and the guides got down the table and fold out chairs. More food! I even had the idea to use our newly bought palm sugar on some of the carby foods. Turns out, this was the end, even though we did not see that we were near to the mountains. Since we had to get our PCR test that afternoon, we were not going to be able to hike and they would drive us up instead. One girl was ill so went back with one team to the hotel, while the rest of us took the 40 minute drive up the mountain.

It was a long road, but it stopped at a pretty happening place: Phnom Kulen National Park. We got out and our driver took down to the waterfall while Kea arranged our lunch. So, we walked down and the waterfall did not disappoint! It was slightly cold water but very refreshing, and you could get right up under the water fall. We stayed for about half an hour with M staying a bit longer to get some drone footage. We walked back up the stairs to lunch, another delicious setting with more coconut juice - this one is possibly a culprit for our food poisoning the next day, but I am not convinced... That will be the next blog. The food was very good and we even got a second order of their delicious egg noodles with veggies.

We drove back to town and stopped at the PCR testing facility where we encountered our other group, who had been living the life of luxury in 4x4 cars in the jungles. They had just finished their tests. We arrived and it was pretty time consuming, but it seemed to go well. We were able to enjoy ourselves passing the time.

That evening we got to hang in the pool again before joining the rest of the group for dinner. We went to a fancy rooftop restaurant in town - the other group did not mess around. I had a nice dinner call mikola, but I think this was actually what made me ill - not food poisoning, but something in the sauce did not agree with me. I usually am light on sauce anyway, but the waiter told me to mix in the all the sauce with the dish and I enjoyed it, but there was an immediate rejection of it as well! So, who knows. Either way, it was a fun night, chatting with others and having a nice drink, having a couple cakes as a celebration for G's birthday, but a few of us went home early.

Day 2 cycling: 41 km

Day 3 cycling: 41 km


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



28th March 2022

Cambodia!
Always wonderful to read your blogs and see the world through your eyes. Cheers to you and when we meet again for some fun, perhaps Hawaii ; ) Love you!
29th March 2022
Cycling Day 3

Cycling Camodia
Glad you are having great fun.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb