Day 66: The confusion of Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
January 10th 2019
Published: January 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

The best analogy I have is Siem Reap is like Disneyland. Millions flock into Disneyland every year and leave California without seeing much beyond their hotel, the streets to the park and Disneyland. If they said, "I know California because I went to Disneyland," I would laugh. Siem Reap is a tourist bubble within Cambodia. Every year about 2 million people visit Siem Reap because it is the closest city to Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat is the world's largest religious monument and since it was built over 800 years ago, it is kind of a big deal. The large flux of people, has resulted in the creation of hundreds of resorts, hotels and guesthouses which are largely owned by foreign investors. There is also not a lot to do in the surrounding area outside of the temples unless you do some searching. Therefore, the center of Siem Reap has become packed with markets, massage shops, restaurants and pub street known for its $0.50 draft beer. This tends to keep most tourists occupied during their 2 to 5 day stay. The confusion is the bubble is very first world: wifi, running water, aircon, indoor plumbing and could leave many to think the rest of the country is like this. The problem is most of the money in tourism never makes it to the natives, especially those who live in rural villages. Here water access is a well or river, indoor plumbing isn't in the picture and an outdoor toilet is a luxury. About 40% of the Siem Reap providence make less than $2.00 per day and 70% make less than $3. Things are improving with each generation, but it is a slow process considering in December of 2018, $11,583,860 was brought in off of 267,647 foreign visits to the temples (Cambodians can visit free of cost). This doesn't include any of what was spent in guides, transport, food/drinks/restaurants, lodging, etc. Angkor Wat is definitely vital to the Cambodian economy and bettering of those in the action so please don't misunderstand. Tourism can do good things for a region, but it's not always a true representation of a place and can be neutral or even harmful to the people who live there. Consider: Where am I staying, eating, and booking through? Is it a foreign or local company? Is where I'm staying, eating, and seeing a true reflection of the area and if not, is there an opportunity to see or learn more?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb