Watting around


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
June 5th 2006
Published: June 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We took a bus from Phnom Penh over to Siem Reap so we could spend a few days looking around the Temples at Angkor. We got off the bus in Siem Reap and were surrounded by about 15 tuk-tuk drivers all wanting to take us to the hotel that they got commission for. We found one that was prepared to take us to where we wanted to go, and headed off to our hotel.

That afternoon we spent some time wandering around Siem Reap. At around 5pm that evening the heavens opened and it absolutely pissed down. The whole town was under water so we had to have dinner at the hotel restaurant with the frogs that came out to play in the rain.

The next morning we were feeling energetic enough to hire mountain bikes and bike out to the temples, we arrived at the first one and tried to take a few photos and discovered that our camera had decided to stop working, after fiddling with it for about half an hour we decided we could not fix it and had a photo-free day.

We managed to visit the four main temples (including Angkor Wat the largest religious building in the world) and biked around 35km for the day. The day was very enjoyable and would have been more so if we had had padding in our bike seats.

The following day we wanted to go and explore some of the smaller and further away temples so we employed a tuk-tuk driver to chauffer us around for the day. The first temple was around 40km from Siem Reap and we gradually worked our way round the less frequented temples back to Siem Reap so the day was a lot quieter with a lot less fellow tourists than the first day.

As we were leaving the first temple of the day a young girl made a beeline for Anna, she had in her hand a plate that she tried to sell me, I wasn't interested but had a look and it had my picture on it! They had taken a photo when I was getting off the tuk-tuk and had placed it in the middle of a souvenir plate! Anything for a couple of dollars!

For our last day we got up early to view the sunrise over Angkor Wat (travelling by tuk-tuk again) and to go back to the temples we had visited on the first day to take the photos we missed out on. We also finished the day with a sunset view from a temple up on a small hill.

We had heard lots about the beauty, and the sheer size of the wats at Angkor before we got there and we were expecting it to be one of the highlights of our trip and it lived up to our expectations.

Not a very detailed blog but we think the pictures tell the story.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Jared's new friendsJared's new friends
Jared's new friends

These kids were trying to sell us stuff but were distracted by our little kiwi mascot and offered to buy him off us
One of the gates at Angkor ThomOne of the gates at Angkor Thom
One of the gates at Angkor Thom

Can you believe that something so magnificent is being used as an everyday gate, can you spot the three faces?
BayonBayon
Bayon

The temple of faces
Jared with handstand at BayonJared with handstand at Bayon
Jared with handstand at Bayon

He was sick of just smiling at the camera


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb