Angkor Wat - a wonder of the world


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 3rd 2011
Published: February 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

The west elevation
On Tuesday we left Bangkok and flew to Siem Reap in Cambodia to spend a few days exploring the complex of Angkor which at its height in the 12th century had a population of about 1 million. At the time London had a population of just 50,000. Angkor was the capital of Cambodia at that time but as its influence waned the seat of power shifted to Phnom Penh, the current capital (which is our next stop). As a result of this shift of power Angkor's temples and palaces were abandoned and left to the elements. Now it is in ruins (but still very grand) and recently has developed into a major tourist attraction with visitors from all over the world.

At the heart of the abandoned city is Angkor Thom. This was the administrative centre and was protected by a 8 metre high walls 12km long with 5 magnificent entrance gates with each bearing 4 giant stone faces. At the centre of this once great city is the Bayon, a temple mountain featuring 54 towers bearing more than 200 stone faces.

Angkor Wat, close by but not within Angkor Thom, is the single largest religious monument in the world. It dates back to the 12th century and was originally dedicated to a a Hindu God. The site is enormous and the size of the temple is overwhelming. We visited late afternoon when the crowds were thinning out and the sun going down. At sunset we enjoyed the change in light and colour coupled with the serene atsmosphere.

At the other end of the day we rose early to see the sun rise over a temple known as Ta Prohn. At its height this now abandoned grand temple was maintained by 80,000 attendants, 18 High Priests and 600 temple dancers. When the French discovered this abandoned temple in the jungle it was smothered with the roots of trees and that is how it has remained. As the sun rose the remains of this once imposing temple appeared with the invading roots taking hold. The magic of Angkor!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Angkor WatAngkor Wat
Angkor Wat

The sun setting on west elevation
Angkor ThomAngkor Thom
Angkor Thom

The Royal Temple Palace of Phimeanakas built during the 10th century and within the walls of Angkor Thom
Guarding entrance to Angkor ThomGuarding entrance to Angkor Thom
Guarding entrance to Angkor Thom

One of the 154 stone statue gods standing on the causeway to the entrance to the South Gate to Angkor Thom
The BayonThe Bayon
The Bayon

Temple of 54 towers at the heart of Angkor Thom
Ta Prohm TempleTa Prohm Temple
Ta Prohm Temple

Abandoned Buddhist temple and monastery found by the French in 19th century and has been left in the condition it was found


5th February 2011

Really enjoying "revisiting" Ankor Wat thro you, good pictures John and good text as always!! have a wonderful holuday.

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.2231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb