Temples, temples and more temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 22nd 2006
Published: February 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

It is now 9.07pm in Siem Reap, and we are absolutely exhausted after a full day of trying to squeeze in the most of the Angkor Temples as possible.

We got up at 4.15am (wow, even I can't believe it) and were picked up by our friendly driver, Sowin (he drives a Camry with automatic seat belts in the front seats! Eva was so jealous), in order to get out to Angkor Wat, agruably the most spectacular of the entire complex, for sunrise.

We paid US$20 per person for our tickets (most of which goes to the oil company lucky enough to run the complex) and Sowin then dropped us at the entrance to angkor wat. Already at this time, the street vendors were trying to sell us coffee and breakfast, but we waited patiently for the sun to rise. When it did, it was truely breathtaking, and almost surreal, as the size and impressiveness of the Temple is indescribable.

We went from temples to temple all day, Sowin driving us the mostly 1 to 5kms between the complexes, all built by the various rulers of the former khmer empire of greater cambodia.

At times, such as in the "ruins" of Ta Promh, we were entirely alone, which was probably the most difficult thing for me to grasp all day. The Angkor Temples are world heritage listed and amongst the most spectacular sites in the world, up there with the Incas. Yet the number of tourists were so minimal, it was utterly unbelievable. But we certainly were not about to complain and we joked that we could tell our children about the times when you could still touch the carvings and climb around the temples to your heart's content.

And it was lucky we didn't complain about the lack of tourists, as the crowds at sunset on the famous mount overlooking angkor wat were certainly far from minimal, though mostly japanese. The rudeness and selfishness of the crowds trying to reach the top of the steep stairs was a harsh reminder of the western value system. Our driver, on the other hand, didn't even check to see whether the US$20 we paid him for the 14hours he spent with us was correct or not. He simply trusted that we would not rip him off. Such a beautiful thing considering what these people have been through in their history. Hmm.

On a lighter note, we are catching the 6.30am bus to Phnom Penh in the morning, and will hopefully be able to get some much needed "adapting time" during the 6hr trip. Apparently the roads are sealed all the way these days, which will be nice for our bottoms, though maybe slightly less adventurous. But one could argue that there is little adventure to be had on a fully air conditioned coach, regardless of the condition of the road! The comforts of the Western life...

Well, although we have spent such little time in this small part of the world, it will be kind of funny driving away so soon. I think we have all grown an odd fascination and love for the pushy children trying to sell you books, the dusty roads overflowing with activity and the Western hotels, shops and bars popping up like mushrooms after rain everywhere you turn. It makes me smile just to think about how much the last few days have already changed the way we look at the importance of everything and anything in this world.

Enough romance for now, hope you are all well in sunny Australia. I will burn some incense in the next pagoda we enter to bring you all good luck (US$0.25).

Maz x




Advertisement



22nd February 2006

Hello
Sounds like an amazing experience at the temples. Have lots of fun and good to know you are not trying to ripp off the driver. He probably did that to you already! Ciao amigas

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb