Templed out


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 12th 2005
Published: February 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

We left Saigon with a bunch of other backpackers and took a trip around the Mekong Delta, where we saw how people really live in Viet Nam (in very smelly places with lots of rubbish). Everybody was so friendly though and we had a brilliant time cruising down beautiful little canals wearing those Vietnamese straw hats and picking bananas off the trees. Visited a noodle factory which was also a pig sty and cock-fighting venue, a crocodile farm (yes, farm not sanctuary) and nearly ate the local delicacy of raw pork (which I thought was a pink sweet). One of the locals stopped me just in time. We think we managed to avoid eating dog, and discovered snake tastes just like chicken, with the added bonus of not having flu. Great atmosphere everywhere we went as they were celebrating the lunar new year (like Christmas).

Took the boat over the border to Phnom Penh in Cambodia where we visited the shocking S-21 and Killing Fields, and then the bus up to Siem Reap. We are now exhausted from visiting all the temples at Angkor and watching the sunrise over Angkor Wat at some ridiculous time. It’s an incredible place – you should all hurry up and visit before UNESCO close it to the public as a result of the damage us tourists are doing clambering over the ruins doing Lara Croft impressions. Hundreds of very cute but destitute children also live around the temples begging for money and trying to sell bracelets and postcards (my collection is growing and we’re running out of money).

Hope you’re not too cold – it’s 8pm and 98degrees here.

Love to everybody,
Emma (and Karl who is checking the football scores) xx










Advertisement



12th February 2005

Hi
We're all following you're adventures with interest here in Belvedere. Whilst you are negotiating youselves across Vietnam, Nikki is jumping into the bath in an effort to recover from last nights birthday bash and Ryan, slumbering on the settee, is threatening to return to bed; I daren't mention the time but suffice to say it's Gillingham 0, Millwall 0 at halftime. Incidentally Nikki was delighted to receive the birthday card and says a big thankyou very much. Best wishes from us all and Bon Voyage for the rest of your epic journey. - Dave

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb