Awesome Angkor!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
January 29th 2005
Published: January 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Siem Reap in Cambodia meant enduring the bus ride from hell. The country's war torn past has left the roads in an unbelievable state of disrepair and the shortage of government funds mean modernisation (or just normal upkeep) is slow to non existant in any area not immediately surrounding the city centres. The trip although terribly bumpy, dusty, hot and allround uncomfortable was solely responsible for getting a bus load of strangers to rally together and laugh our was in disbelief all the way to Siem Reap. It was some of these people that became our travel companions for the rest of our trip in the country.

If it wasn't on the doorstep on the Temples of Angkor, Siem Reap would just be another dot on the map. Everyone who comes to Cambodia goes to Angkor and inevitably the majority end up staying in the town. There are so many five star hotels and resorts in the area that it is hard to believe that you are in one of Asia's least developed countries. Whilst most rich package tourists stay in the grand hotel complexs, its really worthwhile to look around the pretty riverside town with its tree
The bus ride from hell!The bus ride from hell!The bus ride from hell!

the advertised air conditioning on the bus consisted of a guy holding open the door unless the road was too dusty!
lined streets and quirky French architecture. Another legacy left by the French (and in our opinion the best) is the bread! Baguettes are as easily found here as noodles in Thailand! Most markets also offer a selection of French wine and cheeses so after months of curry, rice and veggie noodles we thought we had died and gone to heaven!!!

We have been really stumped to know what to write about Angkor. The feeling you get walking around the overgrown maze of corridors at Ta Prom or walking accross the moat at Angkor Wat and finally setting eyes on the building itself cannot be put into words. For two days we walked around dumbfounded, occasionally managing a 'wow!', 'beautiful!' or 'awesome!'. We took almost 90 photos, some of which you see here but none do any of it any justice. With over thiry temples being constructed over hundreds of years the history behind Angkor is endless, so we are not even going to try and sum it up (there are some good books on the subject if your really interested!).

Although expensive, the days we had at Angkor are unforgettable and its a must for anyone who can make it there.

We have to sort out the rest of photos onto CD tomorrow and once thats done then we shall put on the journal for the rest on Cambodia. Three days ago we crossed the Cambodia - Vietnam border by boat down the Mekong and are currently planning our route north through the county.

B & R


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Yet another templeYet another temple
Yet another temple

This one was used as a set in tomb raider


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb