Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
November 15th 2005
Published: January 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Temples, temples, temples... We have just spent the last 2 days exploring the temples of Angkor. They were fantastic, so worth coming to see. There are actually over 100 temples spread over quite a large area. They are both Buddhist and Hindu so there is a mixture of carving and styles. We obviously only saw a small fraction of what was there. You can't see them all or else you would end up with serious temple burn out!

On our first day we visited Angkor Thom which was actually the last city of the Khmer empire. It contains lots of temples including the Bayon. The Bayon is the one which contains all the giant stone heads. It was one of the reasons that I wanted to come to Cambodia and it did not disappoint. It was amazing. As you may have already guessed this was a great photo opportunity and that was another roll of film gone!


On our second day we visited Angkor Wat. We got up VERY early so we could see the sun rise. It was really spectacular to see it appear out of the darkness. We were lucky that it was a clear morning. We took so many photos - we will try and edit them down a bit before we show them to you.

After breakfast we went back to Angkor Wat to explore the insides of the temple. It is a vast temple with lots of amazing carvings. You can climb right up to the top which we did but it was a bit death defying! The steps are very steep. Going up was fine but coming down was very dicey. It was great at the top though.

After Angkor Wat we went to Ta Phrom which is the temple that has a lot of trees growing out of it. (It was in Tomb raider - not that I have seen the film). It was another great temple, again lots of photos. The trouble is that everywhere you look there is something you want to take a photo of!

After our lunch we decided to do something a bit different - we had effectively had a whole day of sight seeing already as we had been there since 5am! We went to the Tonle Sap floating village which is on the outskirts of Siem Reap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Comedy shotThe Comedy shot
The Comedy shot

Tim at the Bayon


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb