Day eight- Angkor Wat!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
January 2nd 2008
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 8- Cambodia.

Up at 4:30 for pick up to the airport. We planned to go a little early for our 7:30 flight in case immigration gave Bill a hard time about his passport. He had a little trouble, since his departure card was pretty much a mess from washing it, but after a few minutes of paperwork we were through and waiting for the plane. Which didn't take off until 8:20...Bangkok Air cannot certainly be known for their promptness! Our e-tickets says we're to leave at 7:30 and get there at 8:30...but it really only takes a half hour to fly there!

Thank heavens we bought e-visas...we seemed to be the only ones on the whole flight who did! Sailed right past the throngs waiting to get theirs, and got our luggage. Ponheary was waiting for us when we walked outside, along with her driver Nayim. (again, I have no idea how to spell his name!) Ponheary explained that check in at the hotel (Angkor Holiday...very nice!) wasn't until noon, so we would visit Angkor Wat first. Wow...we're not even in the country an hour and we get to see Angkor Wat!

I have to say...(and I can't believe I AM saying it) I was somewhat underwhelmed. Unlike the pyramids in Egypt, which were even bigger than I imagined, Angkor Wat seemed smaller than I thought. It's still beautiful. As we walk around the grounds Ponheary mixes in her knowledge of the history of the temple with her own experiences as a girl, from running around the temple as a child playing hide and seek (can you imagine?) to somewhat offhandedly pointing out bullet holes made by the Khmer Rouge and the Cambodias during the war. She was generous enough to share some of her experiences with the Khmer Rouge...horrifying.

Ponheary asked us if when we visit the school tomorrow by Bantay Srei if we would like to buy breakfast for the school kids. For $80 U.S. we could buy french baguettes and sweet milk (sweetend condensed milk, it turns out to be) for over 400 kids. We said of course!

She also tells us about a school in Koh Ker, about three hours north of Siem Reap, where there has been an outbreak of malaria. This same school lost 8 children to dengue fever last year. She's trying to get medicine to help them, but the medicine costs $400 and the money cannot come out of the foundation funds. When Lori set up the foundation, it states the money would be spent of school supplies, and using it for medicine would be a misappropriation of funds.

We then went to check into the hotel. Ponheary took care of the booking for us, and tells us she got them to upgrade our room to a suite for the same price...$50. The room is very big, and breakfast is included. We get settled in while Ponheary runs some errands and tells us she'll be back for us at 2:30. Bill tells me as soon as we get in the room that he plans to give her some money for emergencies such as this malaria outbreak...

Off to Angkor Thom, Bayon, Terrace of the Elephants, and Baphuon at 2:30. I have to say I think the Bayon is my favorite...back to the hotel at 5:30, get cleaned up and walk down to get something to eat. Found Molly Malones...and decided to eat there. BIG mistake! Food was lousy and so was the service! Grabbed a tuk-tuk back to the hotel (a whopping $1...we gave him $2) and off to bed. Tomorrow...the school!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb