Election fever hits Yangon


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
November 3rd 2010
Published: November 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: swept away 53 secs
Election postersElection postersElection posters

Election posters read more like a cv
Yangon which you may know as Rangoon is another of Burma's crumbling cities, since the governments decision to build a new capital, (apparently a fortune teller predicted that Yangon was going to be bombed by Iran unless a new capital was built.) Yangon has lost investment and it shows as you take your life in your hands walking down the road, if you dont pay attention you risk falling into the sewer or tripping on the uneven paving.

The new capital in the centre of Burma is a strange place with multiple millions of public funds invested. It is a shining example of a city, with perfect roads, clean pavements, neat houses - in fact the only thing that it seems to be missing are the people - it is essentially a shell which has diverted much needed public spending - if you mention the capital city to locals they just shake their heads in disgust.

Back where the people actually live in Yangon election fever was building - well it was among the governments favoured party which seemed to be the only one with any money to campaign - the locals that we spoke to thought the whole thing was a sham but were more excited by a rumour that Aung San Suu khi will be let out the week after the election.

The English language newspaper the Myanmar Times has been an interesting read and as good as announced the winners a month beforehand. 54 constituencies only have one candidate running and many candidates have been ruled as ineligible and so not able to stand.

One quarter of the seats remain reserved for the Hluttaw (military) and apparently the leadership aren't up for election anyway - it seems the Junta's defintion of a free and fair election is rather different than mine!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

ShewadagonShewadagon
Shewadagon

This paya has more gold than the bank of England
swept awayswept away
swept away

local women volunteer to keep the temple clean
Police Police
Police

Police have taken over this Colonial building which is falling apart - it is well fortified


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb