Visa run to Burma


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Southern Burma » Kawthaung
March 15th 2008
Published: March 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Border funBorder funBorder fun

The chaotic pier from which we took the boat to Myanmar
When tourists arrive in Thailand they get a 30 day visa, and there are various ways to stay longer than this. We have nearly used up the 30 days, so took part in a 'visa run' which is when you pop to a neighbouring country for a few minutes/hours/days and then head back to the original country, simply to get another 30 day stamp.

The nearest border to where we are at the moment happens to be Myanmar (or Burma). Our trip started the night before with ironing some money. No really. To get a day stamp to visit Myanmar you must pay the government 10 US dollars. Not just any old US Dollars, but brand spanking new, un-marked, fresh from the bank notes. Fortunately we were carrying a selection of notes so we ironed them all in case the immigration official didn't like the look of them.

We hired a company to do the leg work, who took us from our hostel to Thai immigration to get the exit stamp. Then we went to the pier and were put onto a long tail boat. Once on the boat we visited Thai immigration (again), and then another customs check
Border funBorder funBorder fun

The Thai Immigration check point- 2 of 3!!
point. About half an hour later we arrived in Myanmar, where we were greeted by some well spoken children who told us where we need to go (for a small fee). We got taken to the immigration area, not before the small girls offered to sell us whisky and cigarettes, where we handed over a photocopy of our passports to a man in a tent and then got our stamp. They inspected our money thouroughly but thankfully accepted it (the alternative would have been 600 Baht which is twice the price as 10 USD!!!). We had our photo taken and then the small children helped us to our boats.

Off we went back to Thailand, again stopping at every immigration dept and customs checkpoint. Trev had his bag searched on the way back- it is always amusing that in such a situation they only ever check the man's bag- as if a woman would not take part in smuggling etc. Next time we do, I will carry all the contraband and I am sure we will get away with it.

We got back to the port and then to immigration where we got another 30 day stamp. Ther
Border funBorder funBorder fun

Our friendly guides/tobacconists
entire trip took about 4 hours, so we wre pleased to get back to our hostel for some lunch. I think we were unlucky with our boat which is why it took so long- it kept overheating and we kept being overtaken we were going so slow. It was a strange thing to do, and was the shortest time we have ever spent in another country, but at least it counts as having left and re-entered Thailand which was the whole purpose. I must add that this is a legal and accepted way of extending a stay in Thailand- as dodgy as it all sounds and seemed at the time!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Border funBorder fun
Border fun

See, we really did go, if only for a few minutes!


Tot: 0.546s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb