Mandalay


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region
November 24th 2013
Published: November 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This is the first time we have had reliable internet which is probably a good thing! Our trip has been amazing. The country is so different with temples and pagoda every where. The people are beautiful and so friendly. Most of the men wear these long skirts called longyi. It makes them seem very elegant! Motor bikes and bikes are everywhere. But...also lots of horse drawn vehicles. We spent about an hour in one weaving through the temples and pagodas.

Each city we have been in is different. Yangon was large and we saw the largest reclining Buddha I believe in the world. We went to a open market where you could probably by anything. The cubicles were crammed with good and lots of tourist items. In contrast to the very rustic market we visited in Bagan. There all of the locals shopped for every day items including food. it so reminded me of the market in Okinawa. Lots of flys but also veggies and flowers. I have taken some great pictures but I will need a lesson on "up-load!

Yesterday was our first day in Mandalay. We went to the reconstructed palace and one of the golden Buddhas. People place gold leaf on the statue and the leaf is inches thick. One interesting sign was "no women beyond this point." So we had to sit while the guys got to go right up to the Buddha. We were lucky enough to see how they make those gold leaves. Backbreaking work done by young men swinging a heavy mallet. It takes them over 6 hours to flatten the gold just a little.

We have been on the go quite a bit but had some welcome down time yesterday. All of our hotels have been wonderful, with great beds for getting a good nights sleep.

Our traveling companions are mostly a good group. A few of the couples we like a lot so we try to sit with them at meals!

Pam

Advertisement



24th November 2013

Your companions
Tell us more about your companions, Pam. Is it true that you have royalty in your group? I think I read that somewhere.
24th November 2013

Group
I believe we have a King. That should be confirmed when we enter Thailand!
26th November 2013

What's up?
Pam, you are neglecting your blog in a shameful manner. What's going on???

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb