Fast boat to Bagan


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Irrawaddy River
December 16th 2016
Published: December 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We'll when I say fast.....it still took 9 1/2 hours but that was fast as we arrived an hour early!

We set off from our hotel at 6.15 am and the boat left at 7. After the 'walking the plank' between boats routine, we were lucky enough to get a couple of bamboo deckchairs on the top deck and a blanket - which was only really needed to sit on.

The sun was up before we set off and Howard put on his sunglasses, I did a double take and asked him where he got them from, he looked puzzled but said he had luckily found them on the backseat of the taxi as they must have fallen out of the back pack.
He had only gone an acquired a pair of bloody Raybans' by accident.

I couldn't stop laughing, there he sat in his smart price jeans wearing Raybans! Once I explained what they were he refused to wear them again incase people thought he was flash!!!!!! Ha ha no danger there mate.

Anyway it turned out to be a lovely restful journey, during which I read a whole book, watched river and riverbank life drift by and was fed a picnic breakfast and a plate of fried rice for lunch. There was even a clean western lol, which was the biggest bonus of all.

Eventually more pagodas appeated and we neared Bagan. As we approached the bank people were bathing in the river, I couldn't help thinking they were cursing the boat being early, as several of the people on board with large cameras and zoom lenses snapped picture after picture of them.

Once the boat sounded it's horn men were scrambling down the bank, jumping aboard, putting up a gang plank and it all got chaotic, we couldn't get off as they were coming in and wanting to carry the bags. Somehow it all got sorted and we were off in a taxi to our hotel - the Zein Motel.

I was a bit disappointed with our 'deluxe' room as we are on the ground floor and our balcony is a foot deep and looks into the car park ! So that was a waste of money, still the air con works, the beds quite comfy and the staff are friendly.

By now I'm really tired but we still did the 20 minute walk to restaurant road, walked up and down it examining menus and ended up back at the first place we saw. Food ok then back to bed.

P.s. There is a pavement you can walk on alongside the main road - I love pavements me!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Fast Boat to BaganThe Fast Boat to Bagan
The Fast Boat to Bagan

River bank life


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb