Yangon to Mandalay


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Irrawaddy River
January 20th 2016
Published: March 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Local Yangon busLocal Yangon busLocal Yangon bus

They do pack them in!
Day 8-Wednesday-January 20 This morning we checked out of the Sule Shangri-La Hotel and boarded the buses for the drive to the airport and our flight to Mandalay. We were told that the person who owns the AmaWaterways line also owns the Mann Yadanarpon Airlines. We arrived at the Mandalay International Airport and were bused to the AmaPura where the ship was docked at the Gawun Jetty on the Ayeyarwady River. This spelling of the river is correct...but it is also shown as Irrawaddy. After we got settled in our suite, we watched from our deck as a number of women were carrying the luggage on their heads down the many steps from the road where the buses were parked. Also we watched as several women were doing their laundry in the river and putting it on the stones of the bank to dry in the sun. At 6:00 we got our briefing, safety drill and were introduced to members of the staff. At 7:00 we enjoyed our welcome dinner. Following dinner, we departed the dock and started our journey down the river for our first stop, Mingun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

"I love Myanmar""I love Myanmar"
"I love Myanmar"

That's what Annette's new purse says.
Arriving in MandalayArriving in Mandalay
Arriving in Mandalay

Our flight disembarks at the Mandalay Airport.
The AmaPuraThe AmaPura
The AmaPura

This is our boat (taken at a later date). It has 28 suites (56 passengers) and was built in 2014. It is 188 feet long and has a crew of 30.
Our suiteOur suite
Our suite

Number 304
Welcome aboard!Welcome aboard!
Welcome aboard!

We received a rose upon boarding.
Our bath and sliderOur bath and slider
Our bath and slider

The sliding door goes out to our small deck.
Women bringing our bags.Women bringing our bags.
Women bringing our bags.

These ladies are carrying the bags on their heads from the buses down the many stairs to the boat, which will then be delivered to our suites.
Laundry dayLaundry day
Laundry day

All of this laundry was just washed in the river right behind our boat and placed on the stones to dry in the sun.
Colorful patchworkColorful patchwork
Colorful patchwork

A closer look at the drying laundry.
Scrub-a-dubScrub-a-dub
Scrub-a-dub

Three ladies in a tub.
Top deckTop deck
Top deck

Relax in the sun or shade.
Dining roomDining room
Dining room

Our first welcome dinner on board.
The LoungeThe Lounge
The Lounge

This big room is on the top deck. It has a bar and is where we meet for presentations or relaxing inside. Today we met here for our safety drill and information.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb