September 9th, 10th


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Frankfurt, GermanyFrankfurt, GermanyFrankfurt, Germany

the view as we walked up from the bahn
Sept 9th- After over 24 hours of travel with a 9 hour layover in Frankfurt (which turned out to be wonderful break as we were able to leave the airport and take the Bahn to Maktplaz for a nice walk in the marketplace and lunch at a cafe) the team arrived safely to Yerevan!


Our team was warmly greeted by Gohar (HFH Yervan staff-Global trip coordinator) and Maliek (HFH Yerevan staff-driver and construction supervisor) at the airport at 1am Armenian time to take us to our hotel, Hotel Shirak. After much needed sleep, Gohar and Maliek as well as Ani, (a volunteer for HFH Yerevan) took us on a city tour, then eating lunch at a wonderful Armenian bookstore cafe, Artbridge. After lunch, we went to the Armenian Historical Museum to see great artwork by many Armenian artists.


In the evening, we had our welcome dinner with Nazagarat (HFH Armenia and International Board member), Ashot Yeghiazaryan (the HFH Armenia Executive Director), Meri Pohghosyan (HFH Armenia Development Director) and Gohar at an arabic restaurant, Lebanon. It was a wonderful meal with great conversations, especially highlighting the great partnership between Habitat Detroit, Masco Corporation, and Habitat Armenia. The HFH staff noted
Marktplaz, FrankfurtMarktplaz, FrankfurtMarktplaz, Frankfurt

Margie, Terry, Linda, Veronica, and Sandra at the market
that Habitat Detroit and Masco have tithed enough money to build 47 homes in Armenia!


September 10th- Today was our first day on the build site after a very infomative orientation at the HFH Armenia/Yerevan offices. Unlike the way we build in Detroit, where our houses are brand new construction, majority of the houses Habitat Armenia builds are finishing half-built homes. Many Armenians buy land and work on their houses as they can afford- with the unstable economy, many have a hard time finishing their homes and end up living in the basements of unfinished home or domiks (metal containers intended for temporary shelter) next to their half-built home. HFH Armenia is pleased to help these homeowners. The homeowners also have to put in 1000 hours of sweat equity- this is not a problem, as many of the homeowners go well over the required hours!


We are working with the same family all week long, the Gevorgyan family in the Marmarashen Village, Ararat Region, about a 30 minute drive from our hotel. Hamlet and his wife, Amalik, have two children, Narek (age 4) and Nver (age 2). We worked alongside Hamlet and Amalik, as her sister watched the
Marktplaz, FrankfurtMarktplaz, FrankfurtMarktplaz, Frankfurt

a German woman selling fruits at the market
children for the day. The children did stop by for a short visit in the afternoon, it was very nice to meet the entire family- although hesitant of all the strangers in his home, Narek warmed up to us and managed to give us a couple smiles.


The Gevorgyan house is a 2 bedroom home, built out of the "pink tooth" stone block. In addition to working with some HFH Yerevan staff, Hamlet, his brother, and his neighbors helped us learn how to apply a thin coat of plaster. It was very different task than we are used to be doing, but they all insisted we did a great job. We'll see tomorrow when we go back to do the sanding!


I have found a 24 hour "internet club" within walking distance of our hotel, unfortunately the computer does not recognize my camera. I will try to find another way to upload the pictures, hopefully for tomorrow's blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Mother Armenia
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

A view of Yervan from the hill. Mt. Ararat is in the background but cannot we could not see it well becaue of the fog
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Our hosts in front of the Habitat Armenia minivan: Ani, Gohar and Maliek
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Welcome dinner at Lebanon restaurant


11th September 2007

Daily Activity
Katie, I'm glad to see you all made it safely and were welcomed like Queens and Kings! Continue to learn all you can, so you can teach the rest of us here in the United States. Who knows when one of us will go abroad to do the same thing. I look forward to your future daily comments.
13th September 2007

A wonderful experience
Hi Katie, I'm so glad you all are having such a wonderful experience. It's amazing to know that what we've contributed has made and is making such a difference. And the fact that they complete over 1000 hours earning their Habitat home is very powerful. I'll be keeping up with your blogs and pictures and looking forward to knowing more about the partner family.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb