Day 11


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » West » Yerevan
July 24th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sam Here:

Today we visited the pagan temple (First Century A.D.) at Garni and then traveled further up a valley to the Geghard Monastery. You can see pictures of both and if you like read more about their long history on the web. The Geghard Monastery is particulalry inspirational, carved out of rock and set in a beatiful setting similar to the Red Rock area of Arizona.

At the Geghard Monastery we went into a second story cathederal area carved from solid rock. The acoustics were phenomenal. Gervorg and his cousin's son brought their duduk's (a mysterious wind instrument made from apricot root) and played for us. And then, just by chance, a woman's chorus came in with a small touring group and sang several medieval works that were so enchanting that it brought tears to almost all of our eyes. Wren took a video which I hope will portrait at least some of that feel....but will have to be added after we get back.

Later that day we traveled to the Manuscript Museum in town and I ended up buying a duduk. Gayle, explored outsider art in town with the kids.

Tonight it was a goodbye dinner and farewells to the wonderful Fuller staff. We did not do them service in all of our picture taking and blogging as we were rather Amerocentric in our coverage, but they are doing such important work here at rates that are far below what non-profits in the states would run on. They are very dedicated and we all recomend that anyone who want's to volunteer should get in contact with the Fuller Center or if they wish to donate funds to the Armenian program the return would be great.

Tomorrow....we do something a bit out of the ordinary and will climb the highest mountain in Armenia...the Aragats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15,000 feet of technical climbing, ice storms, wolves, and bandits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If we don't come back on our flights this weekend you will know that we died sweet pure lives of selfless sacrifice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



25th July 2008

wow!
really...mountain climbing? takes lots of pictures and avoid the bandits and ice storms...love, k
25th July 2008

I hope you make it back
Hike safe! Bring home a wolf puppy for Ken! -- Ann
26th July 2008

What a trip
I'm so envious of you guys! This looks like an amazing trip, with amazing sites, experiences, and people. It's wonderful to have it so well documented and shared. Thanks.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb