Out there


Advertisement
Afghanistan's flag
Asia » Afghanistan
November 20th 2009
Published: November 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hill TopHill TopHill Top

On shift just looking for trouble makers, something happens every day within this 3 km radius.
Good Day All,

Thought I'd drop a hello. I'm in a smaller FOB or Patrol Base for a couple of weeks.

The weather has been near freezing at night and almost 30 during the day. We live in a school that's quite comfortable. The surrounding village is a maze of pot fields, grape huts and mud homes. There is no electricity in the area so it's lights out for us and them around 6 pm. Stars are the brightest I think I've ever seen. We have white light in rooms at night but practice light discipline (red lights only) outside. The food is good, and there is a great group of ANA and Canadian troops here.

Only here for a couple of days and then move out. Hope everyone one is well.

Blane Reynolds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Not enough roomNot enough room
Not enough room

Working with locals can be a challenge, a good terp helps, things like backing up the trailer many can't do, as well as poor equipment and rigging. A near miss 2 weeks ago with the crane and we shut the operation down for a while.
Adopted DogAdopted Dog
Adopted Dog

This dog is our Engineer dog Jack (brother named "hammer"), they sneak in, some get kicked out but he's ours and we spoil him. The tankers have a mongoose.
The GuysThe Guys
The Guys

If you guessed the guy on the far right's name is Tiny, your correct. Great group here. The guy in the black is a private contractor, and a world ranked tactical pistol shooter. He's our teacher and scores us based on accuracy and time.
 Big bugs Big bugs
Big bugs

I don't know what this is, it's just a big grasshopper, someone said a locust, but didn't sound to confident. Things almost 4", and doesn't move unless prodded.


21st November 2009

Glad to see you
Hey, Blane Glad to see your blog up and running, now we have a feel for the area and conditions you are in! Keep the info. coming please. Dang, I just mailed you a parcel, if I had of known you were short of blades for your razor I would have sent some.... actually the moustache looks great. Stay alert, Love Mom xo
22nd November 2009

another Pacific disturbance
Hi Blane, Enjoyed your photos and the descriptions...couldn't help contrasting the obvious dry, sandy terrain with what we've been experiencing for the past two weeks. You guessed it: screaming southeasters and horizontal rain sometimes fat almost-snow. Mount Washington has so much snow that they're opening next weekend much to the delight of the skiers in the family. Your Dad is busy working on his boat...promised your Mum a whole month of cruising next July, so now he's really committed to the project. Mum has decided not to pack her bags until she sees it at the gas dock! Plans for Bruce's wedding are moving along...wish you could be here for the big day. Looking forward to more news....stay safe. Love, Cherri PS Love the moustache...very Clark Gable!
26th November 2009

Keep the dream alive!
Your "Stash" is looking good Blane! That's the mark of a maple over chevrons. Your pistol man looks like he is all about meters and inches. Deadly. Keep up the moral and know your brother is here keeping it real in Canadistan. Peace out. P.S. Looks like your truckers could use a little training and your bugs could use a little less free radicals!

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb