AFGHANISTAN - PHOTOS


Advertisement
Afghanistan's flag
Asia » Afghanistan » South » Kandahar
June 3rd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I've been pretty serious in the last few posts. This one is just photos taken by Andy Burridge who is a colleague of mine working here. What a shame that the insurgency prevents tourism, because this place has some AMAZING landscapes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Edge of the RegistanEdge of the Registan
Edge of the Registan

Isn't this incredible! This is the edge of the Registan ("Sandy Place"), the desert you cross as you fly from Kandahar to Helmand. The fertile Arghandab Valley is on the right of the photo, then you cross a range of hills and the desert is like a sheer river, rippling into the distance. And the colour is actually as it is in the photo.
Another ViewAnother View
Another View

This is a wider view of the desert between Helmand and Kandahar. It really is like an orange sea.
Arghandab Valley looking NorthArghandab Valley looking North
Arghandab Valley looking North

You can see how fertile the valley of the Arghandab River actually is. Notice the reservoir of the Dahla Dam at the very top of the photo. This Dam was constructed in the 1950s with US money and it provides the prosperity for all of Kandahar.
Afghan ColoursAfghan Colours
Afghan Colours

I think these colours are just incredible! Looking towards Kandahar.


7th June 2010

Ah, you logged in yesterday! Your scary blogs are starting to make me sometimes check your last log in date, to make sure you are still alive.
23rd July 2010
Arghandab Valley looking North

This photo is now on the Front Page, where the photos are displayed on the top right. You would be lucky to spot it while it is there though, because each photo only stays there for a few minutes at a time.:) It might appear there again though. Higly rated photos sometimes make several appearances.

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 133; dbt: 0.1353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb