Vancouver becoming home from home


Advertisement
Antarctica
September 3rd 2011
Published: October 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

To save money I was able to find a short term sublet with a young shared house. I was sharing with 2 girls and 2 boys, they took me under their wing and I joined in on their movie nights, bike trips to the beach and shops, headed to a bar for live music. It was fun to keep busy in-between job and longer term accommodation hunting.

Vancouver was hosting Celebration of Light festival, where Canada, china and Spain competed firework displays to music. For the Canadian entry I met up with the girl from the whistler tour. We grabbed a coffee as we sat out on kitsilano beach watching the great display. Afterwards I met up with some of the work people I met at my interview and was able to try my first Vancouver night out. It was fun but expensive, one single drink cost $8.50!

Lucille returned from her trip to England and we moved to another 2 week sublet that we referred to as the Big Green House. It was a very international house and we made friends with the other occupancies quickly. The house had a great patio and BBQ area so we made the most of the weather and dined al fresco several times each week. A friend we made in central America, Ken joined us for just under a week. On the first night we headed to a live music venue, one of the bands playing was Lucille's friend Henry's band. At one point a guest singer was brought on stage who happened to be the main singer of one of Ken's favourite bands Broken Social Scene - we all marvelled the chances and said hi to him after his set. The rest of the week we played golf, had some sushi, went to the beach and I worked!

For the last few nights being in the big green house lucille's sister Jessie visited. We headed to the Spanish Banks beach, walked around Lynn canyon valley and enjoyed watching movies in the park - a free cinema showing of Standby Me in the big Stanley Park.

After our sublet, we were able to find a nice 2 bed flat that was in our budget. It was unfurnished but we were able to buy the necessities from the previous tenant. We only had a few nights before both mine and lucille's parents came to visit. Details to follow.


Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb