My start to the millenium - 10 years ago!


Advertisement
Antarctica
February 25th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"We stepped ashore and realized we were the first of the new meilinium to step foot on this spot in Antarctica. It was 0400... there was no sunrise because there was no sunset... we were still a bit giggly from the night we were still celerbrating... the tide was low, the sandy beach was exposed, just above the beach the ice swept away into forever towards the South Pole. Silence bigger than the grand Canyon, swept away up the mountains and glaciers away from us. Where was the South Pole -- the direction are confusing in this land of never ending day. Even the sounds of the penguins were hushed... as if in reverence. But really it was just too early for them and what the hell were we doing here at 0400 anyway? I guess it was about being the first of perhaps only a few hundered who might step here... a famous Antarctic landing site... in this year. WOW - what a great way to spend my first day of the new millenium!"

This is from my travel journal of Antarctica! I think the year is obvious!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb