Photos from Cape Washington


Advertisement
Antarctica
November 6th 2005
Published: November 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Penguin InspectionPenguin InspectionPenguin Inspection

A curious emperor takes a look at one of the cameras at Cape Washington. Photo Courtesy of Kathi Ponganis (Penguin Ranch)
I just received some photos from the Penguin Ranch group with photos of the Backpack Camera installation at Cape Washington. The two cameras we built for them were deployed at the end of October and will be retrieved at the beginning of December. These cameras weigh 10 lbs including batteries, and are relatively compact given that they use a pan/tilt/zoom camera for the imager. This system was designed to run for 6 weeks but given the new electronics I am working on, we will be able to make this system run for multiple years without any maintenance.

It's easy to see why imaging at this site is so difficult; there are so many birds! If everything goes well with this deployment, we will hopefully be working on plans and grants for future camera arrays using our new "Cold Camera" that is designed to last through the winter, on 2 D cell Lithium batteries, and is able to withstand the low light and the extreme cold of the Antarctic night.

Click on to view the other photos....
And leave comments if you would like..


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Camera unit at Cape WashingtonCamera unit at Cape Washington
Camera unit at Cape Washington

Kathi Ponganis setting up camera unit #1 at Cape Washington. Photo Courtesy Kathi Ponganis (Penguin Ranch)


7th November 2005

WOAH
There are so many penguins! I feel like I'd be in heaven, hahahaha

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb