Polar Plunge and Landscapes


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » Brown Station
February 5th 2023
Published: February 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Detaille IslandDetaille IslandDetaille Island

You are viewing near hurricane winds south of the Antarctic Circle. Wind was measured at 60 knots or 69.something MPH.
Turned toward the north the night of 3 February stopping in the early afternoon the next day at an intersection of waterways for peculiar folks to jump into frigid water. There are a total of 175 aboard, and 65 folks took a polar plunge into water that was 31 degrees. Recall this is salt water, so it freezes at 28, not 32. Surprised us we carried so many crazy folks. Almost all of the pictures are landscape, which is the major reason we took the trip. Should you not be so enthralled by snow and ice, you can skip many.

Trip is nearing an end; we likely dock at Ushuaia late tomorrow afternoon and depart the ship the following morning. Anticipate only one more post, which will be of Deception Island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Antarctic LandscapeAntarctic Landscape
Antarctic Landscape

Interesting mixed terrain for Doozer, et al to enjoy summer skiing. This is the beginning of the Lamarie Channel. All photos that follow are somewhere along this beautiful channel.
Strange Folks IndeedStrange Folks Indeed
Strange Folks Indeed

Yet after making contact with water, people became more sane swimming very quickly to exit.
Panorama of Waterways Panorama of Waterways
Panorama of Waterways

Made a panoramic shot of this area, including bow of ship.
Interesting VisitorInteresting Visitor
Interesting Visitor

This is a solitary male Orca looking for a cute penguin or a seal.
Visitor ReturnsVisitor Returns
Visitor Returns

This guy was with us off and on for at least one-half hour. Took number of pix, posting two for you.
Final LandscapeFinal Landscape
Final Landscape

This landscape includes a sailboat. We magnified and looked at the boat closely; looked even smaller than ours, and people sailed it across the Drake! My god, but they obviously are better sailors than us.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb