Stalking the Agamas


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 20th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Fish Eagle  01 Fish Eagle  01 Fish Eagle

The view of the Fish Eagle from the deck.
Geo: -20.5016, 28.4546

We all had such a wonderful sleep last night. This morning the guys got up early to go for a little game drive. Claudine and I both enjoyed a sleep-in. I got up at about 8 and went for a little wander about the area. On a huge rock in the distance I could see a Fish Eagle. Maleme Dam was also visible from the verandah. The lodge was built amongst large boulders and quite high up. We had a very good view up here. I could also see a couple of Vervet Monkeys sitting in the trees close to the lodge and ready to raid our food, but we knew better and kept the doors closed.

Walking around I noticed many colourful Agamas on the rocks. I quietly snuck up to them and took photos. Soon after the guys returned and we had breakfast. We then had to pack the cars, even though we were only here for one night, we had managed to take pretty much everything out of the cars. Now we packed according to owners, our things in our car and Claudine and Neil's things in their car.

I didn't feel that we were missing
02 Dam02 Dam02 Dam

The view of Maleme Dam from the deck.
out on much by only staying here for one night. Compared to the wilderness and wildlife of Hwange, this park didn't compare at all!

We left at about 10 and drove towards the Plumtree/Ramokawebana border post. Once we were through the border we were back in Botswana. Now we had a long drive south. At the end of the afternoon we arrived at the Tlokweng/Kopfontein border, just in time. We didn't want to be driving after dark as these countries are notorious for livestock and people wandering all over the roads. It didn't take too long to get through the border and then we were in South Africa. About ten minutes from the border was one of the gates to Madikwe Game Reserve. Now we were in the park and it would take us about an hour to get back to our lodge.

When we got back we quickly unpacked the car and then relaxed in front of the TV. It was an early night, as tomorrow we had to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

03 View03 View
03 View

The view of the back deck.
04 Cheeky04 Cheeky
04 Cheeky

A cheeky Vervet Monkey looking for a way into our lodge.
05 Dam05 Dam
05 Dam

The view of the dam from our deck.
06 View06 View
06 View

The view from the back deck.
07 Lodge07 Lodge
07 Lodge

The Fish Eagle lodge - a great place to stay after camping for two weeks.
08 Barbecue08 Barbecue
08 Barbecue

The barbecue area.
09 Orange Head09 Orange Head
09 Orange Head

An agama with its bright orange head.
10 Blue Head10 Blue Head
10 Blue Head

An agama with its bright blue head.
11 Colourful11 Colourful
11 Colourful

This agama has a blue head and a yellow body.
12 Colourful12 Colourful
12 Colourful

These are the nicest looking reptiles I have ever seen!
13 Another View13 Another View
13 Another View

Another view of this agama.
14 Agama14 Agama
14 Agama

Another view of the orange headed agama.
15 Enjoying the Sun15 Enjoying the Sun
15 Enjoying the Sun

The agama is enjoying the sun and the heat from the rock.
16 Monkey16 Monkey
16 Monkey

A cute Vervet Monkey sitting in a tree near our lodge.
17 And Another One17 And Another One
17 And Another One

And another photo of this agama.
18 And Another One18 And Another One
18 And Another One

And another photo of this male agama.
19 Couple19 Couple
19 Couple

A male and female agama.
20 Butterfly20 Butterfly
20 Butterfly

A nice patterned butterfly.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb