Game Count Over!


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 12th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

02 Our Setup02 Our Setup02 Our Setup

Where we spent the last few hours of game count.
Geo: -19.1504, 26.5759

This morning we continued counting, even though there was not much to see. We had to stay here until midday. At the end of the game count we saw a few each of the following; warthog, kudu, impala and elephant. For me game count was a great experience, although I didn't really enjoy it due to not seeing many animals. Should we do it again, I hope we are given a more popular place.

At midday on the dot, we left our counting place and drove back to Robin's Camp. Here we met with everyone else and handed in our counting results. We chatted with the others and were jealous of their sightings, but at least we knew where to go this afternoon for our game drive.

We then had some lunch and a bit of a rest and finally a shower! At about mid-afternoon we all got into our car and went for a game drive.

At the start of our game drive we saw kudu and zebra. Both these sightings were a bit disappointing, as the animals seemed skittish and did not stay around long enough for us to enjoy the sighting. Half an hour
03 Kudu03 Kudu03 Kudu

A small herd of kudus.
into our game drive, things improved when we saw a breeding herd of elephants. I was so happy to see them, especially as they didn't run at the sight of our vehicle. Then again fifteen minutes later we saw another breeding herd of elephants. Game viewing for me was improving.

Our destination for this drive was to go and find the lion on a zebra kill that had been spotted during the game count. We found the kill. The give away sign was the smell and the many vultures in the nearby trees. It was about two metres from the road. Visibility was not great, as the grass was very long. There was more than half of the zebra left and sitting next to it in the shade was a lioness. As there was not much happening, we drove to Little Tom's pan in the hope of seeing some animals drinking.

There was quite a lot of water at Little Tom's but no animals. Our next stop was Big Tom's Pan. Here there was not as much water, but a viewing platform to climb up. Also there were no animals here.

We started driving back towards Robin's Camp.
04 Glimpse04 Glimpse04 Glimpse

The glimpse of zebra we saw as we drove back to Robin's Camp.
It would be our last night here and then moving to a new campsite tomorrow night. We then came across another breeding herd of elephants. I feel for the elephants, as there is not much greenery for them to eat. A Ground Hornbill was then spotted, so nice to see them in the wild.

The sunset tonight was amazing. We stopped to enjoy it and then headed back to camp for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

05 Bush05 Bush
05 Bush

The vegetation of the game reserve.
06 Elephant06 Elephant
06 Elephant

Our first good sighting of elephants in this reserve.
07 Mother & Calf07 Mother & Calf
07 Mother & Calf

A mother looks back at us as we drive past.
08 Herd08 Herd
08 Herd

More of the herd of elephants.
09 Eyeing Us09 Eyeing Us
09 Eyeing Us

A female elephant eyeing us up.
10 Little One10 Little One
10 Little One

A little baby elephant.
11 Walking Away11 Walking Away
11 Walking Away

The herd walking away from us.
12 Trunk Up12 Trunk Up
12 Trunk Up

One of the elephants did not like our presence and tried to show who is in charge.
13 Off They Go13 Off They Go
13 Off They Go

The elephants walking away.
14 Young One14 Young One
14 Young One

A young elephant walking along the road ahead of us.
15 Crossing15 Crossing
15 Crossing

The elephants crossing the road in front of us.
16 Mother & Calf16 Mother & Calf
16 Mother & Calf

Another mother and calf in the herd.
17 Remains 17 Remains
17 Remains

The remains of a zebra.
18 On Guard18 On Guard
18 On Guard

Next to the zebra is a lioness guarding the zebra carcass.
19 Water19 Water
19 Water

Water is very scarce here!
20 Vulture20 Vulture
20 Vulture

A vulture at the top of a dead tree.
21 Vulture21 Vulture
21 Vulture

A close up of an Egyptian Vulture.
22 Some More22 Some More
22 Some More

Some more water.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb